Question I cannot get Windows to boot other than a black screen, even in safe mode and any repair/recovery option does nothing.

Tennis987

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2015
I am troubleshooting an issue for a friend where yesterday he mentioned he that whenever he booted up his PC, all he got was a black screen. He was able to get into BIOS, and the screen with all the options for windows troubleshoot and repair, but before he even gets to the login screen it's just a black screen, even tried waiting 10 minutes, nothing. He does not have another GPU or integrated graphics so i couldn't test if the GPU is the issue but I am assuming drivers. So far I have tried :

-Changing cables, changing which port he plugs it into the GPU
- Power cycle the PC
-Unseat RAM and dust the case out
-sfc /scannow and chkdsk /f
-bootrec /fixmbr >bootrec /fixboot> bootrec /rebuildbcd> bcdboot e:\windows /s e:
-Clearing Windows Update
-CMOS reset
-Automatic Repair with no results
-Launch Recovery Environment
-Reset this PC "There was a problem resetting your pc, no changes were made"
-Recovery looks like windows didn't load correctly
-Startup Repair "Couldn't repair your PC press advanced to try other options..."

After every error, even in safe mode, the screen still stays black. The one thing I haven't tried is deleting one of the secure keys to turn off Secure Boot but i wont because there is no where to back it up. And to disable Driver Signature Enforcement.
He does not have a flash drive on hand or else I would have asked him to create a fresh windows install from there or boot the troubleshooter from it.
Any ideas or solutions as to what could be the issue?

I am troubleshooting an issue for a friend where yesterday he mentioned he that whenever he booted up his PC, all he got was a black screen. He was able to get into BIOS, and the screen with all the options for windows troubleshoot and repair, but before he even gets to the login screen it's just a black screen, even tried waiting 10 minutes, nothing. He does not have another GPU or integrated graphics so i couldn't test if the GPU is the issue but I am assuming drivers. So far I have tried :

-Changing cables, changing which port he plugs it into the GPU
- Power cycle the PC
-Unseat RAM and dust the case out
-sfc /scannow and chkdsk /f
-bootrec /fixmbr >bootrec /fixboot> bootrec /rebuildbcd> bcdboot e:\windows /s e:
-Clearing Windows Update
-CMOS reset
-Automatic Repair with no results
-Launch Recovery Environment
-Reset this PC "There was a problem resetting your pc, no changes were made"
-Recovery looks like windows didn't load correctly
-Startup Repair "Couldn't repair your PC press advanced to try other options..."

After every error, even in safe mode, the screen still stays black. The one thing I haven't tried is deleting one of the secure keys to turn off Secure Boot but i wont because there is no where to back it up. And to disable Driver Signature Enforcement.
He does not have a flash drive on hand or else I would have asked him to create a fresh windows install from there or boot the troubleshooter from it.
Any ideas or solutions as to what could be the issue?
On a working machine put a copy of memtest86 on a flash stick.
Verify the stick boots.

Put the stick in the problem machine.
See if the stick will boot.
If it does let it run.....no errors allowed.