[SOLVED] I cannot install an image to my M.2

Synyster06Gates

Honorable
Aug 7, 2014
Yesterday morning, I woke up to a glorious BSOD with the recurrent (as soon as my computer would load Windows) WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. I ended up just doing a clean install of Windows afterwards and went to install the image that I had backed up 2 days ago using Windows backup/restore. I am using a USB Windows Media Creation tool for restore/repairing.

The destination drive is a Samsung 970 EVO in my boards (Z370HD3) only M.2 slot. The drive that has the backup is an internal HDD that is 1TB, and has been partitioned to two 450gb. The drive backup is 393gb vhdx file + 483mb secondary vhdx. Everything is running smoothly on the new Windows build, but I absolutely need my data and software back.

I have tried running the image restore tool on top of the existing clean install of Windows. I've use diskpart to clean, then format to NFTS. No matter what I do, I get the error "the system image restore failed. no disk that can be used for recovering the system disk can be found." I've done some Googling, however everything I find is back from 8 years ago or so. I haven't found anything that has worked for me yet.

Few questions -

1. Is there a program like Acronis True Image that I can buy that would properly restore the VHDX images or do they only restore their own files?
  2. Is there a newer method to getting the Windows native tool to take the image?
  3. Why has Windows not been able to figure this out for years?

Solution
I have tried running the image restore tool on top of the existing clean install of Windows. I've use diskpart to clean, then format to NFTS.
Target drive must be empty. That means - no partitions, no formatting.
And you have to boot from windows installation media (not the drive, you're going to restore to).
What tool did you use to create the back up? A system image usually replaces whatever is on the target disk, with an image of the disk from which you created the image. IOW, it will overwrite your new install with a copy of the previous window install that was backed up.

The only VHDX images I have used was with WintoUSB, which created USB that booted it's own Windows install, independent of what might be on the PC internal drives.

Synyster06Gates

Honorable
Aug 7, 2014
What tool did you use to create the back up? A system image usually replaces whatever is on the target disk, with an image of the disk from which you created the image. IOW, it will overwrite your new install with a copy of the previous window install that was backed up.

The only VHDX images I have used was with WintoUSB, which created USB that booted it's own Windows install, independent of what might be on the PC internal drives.

I used the Windows system image tool. It should overwrite the fresh install I’m on with my old setup (and all of my stuff) however that’s not happening. It gives me the error above. The windows image creator makes the VHDX files

Synyster06Gates

Honorable
Aug 7, 2014
Target drive must be empty. That means - no partitions, no formatting.
And you have to boot from windows installation media (not the drive, you're going to restore to).

correct, I’ve tried that as well using diskpart. I’m booting from the USB media creation tool.
Also, try booting with windows USB installer and choose repair over install. Than choose System image recovery..
Right, what I’ve been trying. It gives me the error from the OP