Question I cannot install anything on this used PC, including Windows updates etc. ?

Oct 13, 2024
Hi all, first time posting so excuse me if my formatting is incorrect.

Recently I've run into an issue with a PC I purchased second-hand and advertised as having issues downloading games or watching Youtube. After getting it home, I figured it would be as simple as reinstalling Windows and calling it a day. However, it has proved to be slightly more complex than I thought it would be and I am completely out of my depth.

Issues:
1. When trying to download anything, including Google Chrome, official GeForce drivers etc., download will fail multiple times due to "Network Error". After retrying and successfully downloading Microsoft Edge will block the installer from opening, with an error message similar to "This application could be harmful to your device".
2. Once the installation media is finally downloaded for any application (e.g. Chrome, drivers), the installers will throw a variety of error codes. I have had too many different error codes for the Chrome installer to list, it would seem like a waste of time.
3. Attempting to detect Windows updates will more often than not fail, and once it does work and begin installing it will fail with the error code "0xc8003fa". This is the same error code for every Windows update.

What I have tried, in (relatively) chronological order:
1. Reinstalled Windows from a Windows 10 ISO usb that I created (confirmed not the issue, have used over 20+ times before and after with multiple systems and multiple drives). Formatted the drive to wipe everything then reinstalled, no result.
2. Replaced the SSD with an SSD I have confirmed works in another system and did another fresh install of Windows.
3. Updated the motherboard BIOS to the latest version, then again reinstalled Windows.
4. Granted full permissions to C:\Users\USER\Appdata\Local\Temp and C:\Windows\Temp.
5. Disabled all of Windows Defender. Still nothing.
6. Stripped whole system down to just cpu/mobo/ram/wifi card. Swapped ram for a known working set of RAM. Cleared CMOS. nothing.
7. Disabled Security Device Support in BIOS. Did nothing except make me a little anxious.
8. Disabled "Check apps and files" nothing. Re-enabled "Check apps and files". For whatever reason, this allowed me to install Chrome, however all of my other issues still persist.

Note: Throughout this process have used both a TP-Link WiFi card and onboard Ethernet.
What's irritating is this exact set of issues has had a thread here that was left unresolved because English was clearly not the poster's first language, and so every response ridiculed them and doubted them while from an objective standpoint they seemed quite competent. Thus the issue remains unsolved. Disappointing to say the least.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

System Specs Before Teardown:
CPU: i5 7600k
GPU: GTX 1060 6gb
MOBO: Asus Prime Z270-P
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb (2x8gb) @2666MHz
SSD: Samsung Evo 850 250gb

System Specs After Teardown:
GPU: n/a
RAM: Ballistix 16gb (2x8gb) @ 2400MHz
SSD: Kingston 240gb

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age. What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

1| Recreate the bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools to rule out a corruption in said installer.
2| Did you install the OS in offline mode, without the internet, installing all relevant drivers with the latest revisions in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator? Yes you will need to download the latest drivers and have them on a pen drive prior to the format/reinstall of the OS.

Note: Throughout this process have used both WiFi from a TPLink wifi card and onboard Ethernet.
Yeah, you shouldn't connect to the internet since the OS will install drivers it thinks is right for the platform which often times can and will lead to instability issues.

How are you cooling the processor? Inspect the CPU's socket for any bent or broken pins.

What's irritating is this exact set of issues has had a thread here that was left unresolved because English was clearly not the poster's first language, and so every response ridiculed them and doubted them while from an objective standpoint they seemed quite competent. Thus the issue remains unsolved. Disappointing to say the least.
Perhaps you could point us in the direction of the thread you say the OP was ridiculed?

Oct 13, 2024
Hi there, appreciate the response,

I didn't mention the PSU as I didn't believe it was relevant, I have also ruled out the PSU as an issue by testing the system with another confirmed working PSU.
1| Recreate the bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools to rule out a corruption in said installer.
I'm absolutely certain the USB is not the issue, as I have used it multiple times to install Windows successfully including as recently as a few hours ago on an entirely separate system.

2| Did you install the OS in offline mode, without the internet, installing all relevant drivers with the latest revisions in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator? Yes you will need to download the latest drivers and have them on a pen drive prior to the format/reinstall of the OS.
OS is always installed offline then WiFi/Ethernet is connected once setup is complete. As for installing the drivers via USB, this goes back to my issue of any installation wizards spitting multiple error codes, including when run as Administrator.
How are you cooling the processor? Inspect the CPU's socket for any bent or broken pins.
The CPU was originally water-cooled by a Corsair 120mm AIO, however after tearing down the PC I have moved it over to a test bench and switched it back to a standard intel cooler, which leaves the CPU sitting at a cool 32 degrees. I have also reseated the CPU and checked for bent pins, as well as (obviously) applying fresh thermal paste.
Perhaps you could point us in the direction of the thread you say the OP was ridiculed?
No problem, the link to that thread is here:

Thank you for your support, if there's any more information you'd need before you can help troubleshoot please let me know. Thanks!

Hi all, first time posting so excuse me if my formatting is incorrect.

Recently I've run into an issue with a PC I purchased second-hand and advertised as having issues downloading games or watching Youtube. After getting it home, I figured it would be as simple as reinstalling Windows and calling it a day. However, it has proved to be slightly more complex than I thought it would be and I am completely out of my depth.

Issues:
1. When trying to download anything, including Google Chrome, official GeForce drivers etc., download will fail multiple times due to "Network Error". After retrying and successfully downloading Microsoft Edge will block the installer from opening, with an error message similar to "This application could be harmful to your device".
2. Once the installation media is finally downloaded for any application (e.g. Chrome, drivers), the installers will throw a variety of error codes. I have had too many different error codes for the Chrome installer to list, it would seem like a waste of time.
3. Attempting to detect Windows updates will more often than not fail, and once it does work and begin installing it will fail with the error code "0xc8003fa". This is the same error code for every Windows update.

What I have tried, in (relatively) chronological order:
1. Reinstalled Windows from a Windows 10 ISO usb that I created (confirmed not the issue, have used over 20+ times before and after with multiple systems and multiple drives). Formatted the drive to wipe everything then reinstalled, no result.
2. Replaced the SSD with an SSD I have confirmed works in another system and did another fresh install of Windows.
3. Updated the motherboard BIOS to the latest version, then again reinstalled Windows.
4. Granted full permissions to C:\Users\USER\Appdata\Local\Temp and C:\Windows\Temp.
5. Disabled all of Windows Defender. Still nothing.
6. Stripped whole system down to just cpu/mobo/ram/wifi card. Swapped ram for a known working set of RAM. Cleared CMOS. nothing.
7. Disabled Security Device Support in BIOS. Did nothing except make me a little anxious.
8. Disabled "Check apps and files" nothing. Re-enabled "Check apps and files". For whatever reason, this allowed me to install Chrome, however all of my other issues still persist.

Note: Throughout this process have used both a TP-Link WiFi card and onboard Ethernet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

System Specs Before Teardown:
GPU: GTX 1060 6gb
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb (2x8gb) @2666MHz
SSD: Samsung Evo 850 250gb

System Specs After Teardown:
GPU: n/a
RAM: Ballistix 16gb (2x8gb) @ 2400MHz
SSD: Kingston 240gb
Just for yuks.....put a copy of memtest86 on a flash stick.
Boot the stick and let it run.
No errors allowed.