Question I can't boot into a windows installation after installing an SSD in my Lenovo G560

Adam7324

Prominent
Mar 8, 2020
Hi there,
I bought an ssd and replaced the hdd. I put a windows 10 bootable installation on a usb using the media creation tool. I inserted it into the laptop and started the laptop. It posts and then says this:
Something about intel pxe etc..
this product is covered by the following patents: us5,307,459 etc...
Realtek PCIe FE Family controller series v1.19 (08/10/09)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE ROM.
No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

I press any key, and the same thing happens.
I couldn't even get into the bios because it doesn't say anything about press f2 for bios on post.

It would be much appreciated if someone could find a solution.

Many thanks,

Adam

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
You're not booting from the USB - either the laptop doesn't support USB-booting, or the boot priority is not set to disabled for all but the primary HDD.

Given the era of a G560 (~10 years old), either option is possible.... but I'd think it would support USB booting.

If F2 is the key to enter the BIOS, you dont need to wait for a prompt - just spam the key from the second you turn the laptop on.

There's probably a one-off 'boot override' key (F8 on some laptops, others is F12... some are ESC) which will allow you to select the USB.

Might be F12:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo.../USB-option-in-G560-BIOS-boot-menu/m-p/424081

Adam7324

Prominent
Mar 8, 2020
You're not booting from the USB - either the laptop doesn't support USB-booting, or the boot priority is not set to disabled for all but the primary HDD.

Given the era of a G560 (~10 years old), either option is possible.... but I'd think it would support USB booting.

If F2 is the key to enter the BIOS, you dont need to wait for a prompt - just spam the key from the second you turn the laptop on.

There's probably a one-off 'boot override' key (F8 on some laptops, others is F12... some are ESC) which will allow you to select the USB.

Might be F12:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo.../USB-option-in-G560-BIOS-boot-menu/m-p/424081

Hi, thankyou for your reply.
I have tried spamming esc, f2, f8, f12 etc.. and still nothing happens. I think that the bios menu is not available by default and must be turned on in a specific way. on the Lenovo G470, you must hold b during power on to enable the bios, or boot option menu. I have tried that, but it doesn't work.