[SOLVED] I can't boot my pc on the USB that has the windows 10 install files

Feb 24, 2020
Hi

I'm trying to reinstall windows 10 on my pc as I upgraded my CPU, motherboard, CPU cooler and GPU last night. The new motherboard is the gigabyte z390 aorus pro and I'm pretty sure it uses UEFI, at least that's what it reads in the BIOS as far as I'm aware. So I downloaded the windows 10 tool from this page https://www.microsoft.com/da-dk/software-download/windows10 picked UK language, 64-bit and windows 10 like my current setup and then downloaded THAT to my USB plug. So after that was done I tried to turn off my pc, pressed F12 during the bootup to enter the boot menu, found the USB and tried to open it however the screen went fully black like in the command prompt and it looked like it was reading text as the white square that normally indicates you're typing something in that square, was moving around on the screen (the screen was still fully black other than that) and then it took me back to the boot menu. I then tried to put my USB as boot option #1 in the BIOS however this just did the same except instead of taking me to the boot menu it just booted option number #2 instead (which was the normal boot on my SSD). I then tried to follow these steps https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-essentials/install/create-a-bootable-usb-flash-drive where I formatted it to fat32 and then I basically reinstalled the windows 10 file on the USB like I did above. This time it seems to not even be able to find the USB in the boot menu and so before I end up ruining anything on my pc I figured I was better off asking here. I'm not very good at software issues, so I apologize in advance if I don't understand the answers!

Solution
Hi

I'm trying to reinstall windows 10 on my pc as I upgraded my CPU, motherboard, CPU cooler and GPU last night. The new motherboard is the gigabyte z390 aorus pro and I'm pretty sure it uses UEFI, at least that's what it reads in the BIOS as far as I'm aware. So I downloaded the windows 10 tool from this page https://www.microsoft.com/da-dk/software-download/windows10 picked UK language, 64-bit and windows 10 like my current setup and then downloaded THAT to my USB plug. So after that was done I tried to turn off my pc, pressed F12 during the bootup to enter the boot menu, found the USB and tried to open it however the screen went fully black like in the command prompt and it looked like it was reading text as the white...

Ferimer

Distinguished
Hi

I'm trying to reinstall windows 10 on my pc as I upgraded my CPU, motherboard, CPU cooler and GPU last night. The new motherboard is the gigabyte z390 aorus pro and I'm pretty sure it uses UEFI, at least that's what it reads in the BIOS as far as I'm aware. So I downloaded the windows 10 tool from this page https://www.microsoft.com/da-dk/software-download/windows10 picked UK language, 64-bit and windows 10 like my current setup and then downloaded THAT to my USB plug. So after that was done I tried to turn off my pc, pressed F12 during the bootup to enter the boot menu, found the USB and tried to open it however the screen went fully black like in the command prompt and it looked like it was reading text as the white square that normally indicates you're typing something in that square, was moving around on the screen (the screen was still fully black other than that) and then it took me back to the boot menu. I then tried to put my USB as boot option #1 in the BIOS however this just did the same except instead of taking me to the boot menu it just booted option number #2 instead (which was the normal boot on my SSD). I then tried to follow these steps https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-essentials/install/create-a-bootable-usb-flash-drive where I formatted it to fat32 and then I basically reinstalled the windows 10 file on the USB like I did above. This time it seems to not even be able to find the USB in the boot menu and so before I end up ruining anything on my pc I figured I was better off asking here. I'm not very good at software issues, so I apologize in advance if I don't understand the answers!
Try a different USB drive. OR make sure to check that you have it plugged into an actual USB Connector and not the BIOS flash connector.

Solution
Feb 24, 2020
Try a different USB drive. OR make sure to check that you have it plugged into an actual USB Connector and not the BIOS flash connector.
I've tried plugging it into both of my 2 USB ports on the front my midi tower, I assume that should work like a normal USB connector as I usually use that for controllers and what not, they're connected to the USB 3.1 header on my motherboard. I'll try a different USB drive and see if that makes a difference and then I'll let you know how it went.

Ferimer

Distinguished
I've tried plugging it into both of my 2 USB ports on the front my midi tower, I assume that should work like a normal USB connector as I usually use that for controllers and what not, they're connected to the USB 3.1 header on my motherboard. I'll try a different USB drive and see if that makes a difference and then I'll let you know how it went.
I would be plugging it into the Back, directly into the motherboard. and not rely on a Case Connection.
So try the same USB Drive but make sure to plug into one of the USB ports that is a direct contact to the MOBO

Feb 24, 2020
That was all I needed to do, I don't know whether it was the new USB or inserting straight into the motherboard to be fair, but it worked either way so thanks!

TRENDING THREADS