I can't do a colon punctuation mark (:)

devilgodspider

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
So here's the problem, I can do any key on the keyboard (as far as I'm aware, I haven't tested every single combination, as in "Ctrl+Alt+Del" still works).
But for some reason, doing "Shift+." doesn't do a colon ":" anymore, "Shift+," still do ";"
As for how I'm doing it now, I just copy-paste it from the wikipedia page actually haha
Anyway, this is really annoying to be quite honest, and this never happened to me.
Anyone have any ideas on how to see what the heck is going on..?

My Keyboard: Microsoft Digital Media Keyboard 1.0A
Operating System: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit

I don't really think the whole PC Tower specs are necessary, if you need them however I'll put them. I hope someone knows what's going on =(

USAFRet

Titan

Shift + . should result in >, not a colon :
Shift + , should result in <, not a semi-colon ;

Unless your keyboard is very weird, or a language other than english.

-when was the last time : worked? did you make any changes to your pc which may have affected this?
-does the keyboard work fine on other computers? do other keyboards work fine on your computer?
-what language and keyboard layout are you using? (in standard us-english layout : is shift+; for example) it looks like perhaps its a german board?
-what do you get when you actually push shift+.?
-do you have any software enabled which may be using shift+. as a shortcut for launch or on/off functions?
-do you have the same issue in safe mode?

devilgodspider

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013

Sorry for the late reply, didn't expect such a quick response thank you! =)

as for what you said, my keyboard layout isn't US-EN, it's West European, more specifically Portuguese (not Brazilian Portuguese, Portugal Portuguese).

Any ideas on why this is happening though?
And yes, on this layout "Shift+," is ";" and "Shift+." is ":"

devilgodspider

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013

First of all, nice banner/signature haha ^^ and thanks for replying so fast too
As for what you asked;
-it seems to come back and go away every so often, I haven't been able to replicate it, but now I haven't been able to do ":" for 2 days. As for changes on my pc, none at all for as long as a 2 months, and this started about a month ago.
-I haven't actually tested this, I feel like an idiot for not ha... But no, I cannot do Shift+. = : on another computer as well. Can't really test on one more computer right now, only have 2 on my household. As for other keyboards working on mine, I can't test this unfortunately, since my other PC is a laptop.
-Layout is Portugal-Portuguese. I'm fairly certain it's not a german keyboard because of it not being a QWERTZ type.
-I get nothing, as if no command was even sent to the computer.
-Not that I know off, no, normally don't use shortcuts.
-Haven't tried safe mode either, I'll tell you in a bit.

devilgodspider

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013

As I mentioned before... it is only this combination...
Everything else I have tested works...
please read before saying this even my ç key works, I find very very unlikely there's a leyout where everything is equal to Pt-Pt but no "Shift+. = :"

responses here can be quite quick at times if you hit us during the busy times of day.

thanks, i like my banners too. once in awhile i photoshop myself some new ones.

given that you said the keyboard can not do shift+. on your laptop as well (i'm assuming shift+. works fine when not using the keyboard??) it would be a good idea to try another keyboard out on the pc since it almost sounds like its the board.

IF you still have problems with a new keyboard (or just borrow one from somebody like a neighbor for a quick test) then it might be software.

if its software, i would try all the basics..

-changing language from portugal to another language and back then saving. check in language under your keyboard in the properties section to see if the keyboard on screen matches yours.

-restoring your pc to before the issues started. in some cases things like windows updates which you might not notice as being installed in the background can cause mayhem. often a system restore to before the updates would have been installed can tell you if something like that happened or not (if the issue disappears upon doing a restore to 2 months ago then it may have been the case).

...you listed your language already so the image is not needed. i just copied the image link but it appears that they dont allow remote viewing. dont worry about it as it is not important.

devilgodspider

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013

Thanks for the reply, but as I told the person above you, this isn't a matter of region keyboard layout, it's already at Portugal Portuguese, and I checked. I might as well change the title to have that info haha

devilgodspider

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013

"shift+." works fine on the laptop's built in keyboard yes, so I suppose it might be something wrong with my keyboard... but what could've happened for my computer not registering this combination, but both keys separately and even other Shift+ combinations..?
Doesn't make sense, I do have however very little knowledge on how keyboards operate, maybe there's a logical explanation as to why this sort of thing could happen.

I can't really test another keyboard, the closest "neighbor" I have is a good 5km away from me haha, I'll see what I can do tomorrow if one of my friends can borrow me a spare keyboard for testing.

I experimented the language layout changes on my computer to see if Shift+. would now register something, in this case I tested en-us. Sadly, it also does not work, in en-us, and as USAFRet pointed out, Shift+, is indeed < and works, however Shift+. still does not register the supposed <.

As I said before I really haven't installed any update considerable update... only updates that could happen are Steam and League of Legends client patches. I disable Windows 8.1 updates as soon as I heard it would download the entirety of Windows 10, and since my crippled internet is best left as it is and not chugging easily, I did it.

And I see, well, I tried displaying it as best as possible my language =)

so far things are pointing to a bad keyboard. while i'm not sure exactly what is going on it could be some sort of hardware or board failure? testing a working board on your pc would better be able to make that call.

just curious does leftshift+. and rightshift+. both not work?

devilgodspider

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013

both do not work... Mmm, I will try to get another keyboard to make sure.
Thank you for the help ssddx ^^

devilgodspider

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013

I tried another keyboard and it worked...
well I think this is resolved. Still don't understand how a combination can't work but other combinations using the keys or the keys alone work... Weird...
Well, it seems the problem is with the keyboard itself, I hereby make this thread resolved.
Thank you ssddx =)