Question I can't find the source of crashes on my PC (it's driving me mad sad)

Sep 9, 2020
Hi, two symptoms I have found possibly due to the same problem. It started when one day my games suddenly started crashing to desktop. No errors no warning no hangs just there I am in my game and whoop now I am at desktop. I have tried in 2 games because I have only these at the moment : AC Odyssey and Watch Dogs 2. Also when I run a benchmark test in MSI Kombustor, GPU ones run find, but when I run CPU tests where gpu and cpu both have considerable load (just like in a game) - BSOD and pc restarts.

Solutions I have tried :-

• Reinstalled the games.
  • Reinstalled windows, clean installation.
  • Made sure all windows updates are up to date.
  • Used MSI and Intel's utility to update any drivers that I could. They both now say that there's nothing left to update.
  • Monitored Task Manager to see if I can find a suspicious process or source of any spike but nothing.
  • Monitored Temperatures, they were well within limits.
  • Tried to make sense of BSOD crash dumps but ntokrnl.exe is all I can see common.
  • Used MSI afterburner to Powerlimit GPU to 50% .. more or less same issues persist.
My Specs :-

• Windows 10 pro
  • Msi H110m pro-vh plus
  • Intel i5-6500 4 cores @ 3.2 GHz
  • Zotac Mini GTX 1060 6gb
  • Corsair Vengeance DDR4 8GB 2133 MHz
  • WD 1TB HDD
  • 450W PSU
  • Everything in BIOS on default, no overclocking.
It's not just about being able to play games, I can't render things too if I can't put load on my gpu and cpu at the same time. Also, if it's a hardware problem, that'd be real sad because I can't afford any new part at the moment.

Help appreciated!

Last edited:

frederickalliston

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 12, 2020
Why games can crash on Windows 10 and how to fix it
  • Hardware reasons
  • Lack of RAM or video memory
  • Overheating processor
  • Software reasons and their solution
  • Compatibility issues
  • Need to update drivers
  • Video: How to Update Windows 10 Drivers
  • Setting up the graphics card
  • Problems with the game itself
  • The consequences of viruses

It is likely that the game crashes due to the fact that your computer simply does not meet the required technical characteristics. For example, if your video card does not work with shaders of the third or fourth version, then the game may crash immediately upon launch.

If there is not enough processor power or RAM, then the game can start and even work normally for some time. But in complex, dynamic scenes, an overload occurs and the video game simply turns off, and you are thrown onto the desktop.

Actually, if the computer does not meet the system requirements specified by the developers, then you can fix this problem only by updating the machine. Compare your hardware to the required hardware, find out which component is "outdated" and update it first. Sometimes it is enough to increase the amount of memory and install a good video card.