Question I can't install a 3rd monitor to my new Dell Win11 laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

LDPRICHARD

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2015
I have a new Dell laptop with Win 11 (came with it). I easily installed a 2nd monitor (LG) (New). No problem. It is connected with an HDMI cable, no issues. Easy peasy.

BUT -- Now I would like to install a THIRD monitor -- also LG, also new.

Because I have only ONE (as is typical) HDMI port, I ordered a HDMI to USB adapter.

DISCLAIMER: I am nobody's idea of a tech person. The little bit I know, I've had to teach myself. I'm 60 yrs old. And while I have more tech ability than many of my friends who are the same age, I'm not anywhere close to truly skilled or knowledgeable. So, please be kind. Spoon feed me. I am perfectly capable of learning, but I just need a little help to understand the process.

I connected the second external monitor (technically THIRD monitor -- the laptop is 1, external LG is 2, and this is #3) using the HDMI to USB adapter. I went into display settings and clicked DETECT. It tells me that it does not detect the 3rd monitor.

I scoured YouTube, but there is nothing out there that addresses 1) Laptops that are 2) Win11 and 3) Will not detect a third monitor. /// There are plenty of videos regarding such for gaming machines and desktop computers. And there's a pretty good bit about Win10. But nothing for my exact situation.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. And, remember, I'm a little bit of an idiot. So be gentle with me :)

Ralston18

Titan
Desired connections being:

Laptop screen
Laptop HDMI port ---HDMI (1) cable ----> LG1
Laptop USB port ---[USB adapter] ----HDMI (2) cable ---->LG2

Do some testing/swapping about. For example - swap the (1) and (2) HDMI cables.

Are you able to verify that the LG2 monitor works directly via a known working HDMI port? Either on the laptop (in place of the second, original new LG monitor) or on another known working computer of any sort.

And likewise verify that using some other known working USB port for the USB adapter/HDMI adapter also works. On the laptop and on another computer.

Key is to methodically swap things about but change only one thing at a time. Source video port, cable, adapter, monitor.

Verify that there are no hardware problems. Basically that everything works somewhere.

Take your time, no need to rush, Plan out the testing/swapping process then go step by step.

Keep notes. Post the results.

If the hardware is all working then then the next step is software and/or configurations.

LDPRICHARD

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2015
Desired connections being:

Laptop screen
Laptop HDMI port ---HDMI (1) cable ----> LG1
Laptop USB port ---[USB adapter] ----HDMI (2) cable ---->LG2

Do some testing/swapping about. For example - swap the (1) and (2) HDMI cables.

Are you able to verify that the LG2 monitor works directly via a known working HDMI port? Either on the laptop (in place of the second, original new LG monitor) or on another known working computer of any sort.

And likewise verify that using some other known working USB port for the USB adapter/HDMI adapter also works. On the laptop and on another computer.

Key is to methodically swap things about but change only one thing at a time. Source video port, cable, adapter, monitor.

Verify that there are no hardware problems. Basically that everything works somewhere.

Take your time, no need to rush, Plan out the testing/swapping process then go step by step.

Keep notes. Post the results.

If the hardware is all working then then the next step is software and/or configurations.

Sorry, should have clarified that. 1) MONITOR -- Yes, the monitor works fine. It is brand new. I bought it just a few months ago. I have another laptop, an HP Envy. I used it with that laptop just fine. (Also running Win11) // 2) The HDMI / USB adapter -- it is brand new ordered from Amazon. I tested it with the monitor on my HP. No issues. 3) USB EXPANDER PORT -- Becs of the severe lack of USB ports on the new Dell, we use a USB expander port. It has 5 slots, but only 1 is currently in use. It is an external Logitech camera. The expander strip works just fine. No issues there.

LDPRICHARD

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2015
Sorry, should have clarified that. 1) MONITOR -- Yes, the monitor works fine. It is brand new. I bought it just a few months ago. I have another laptop, an HP Envy. I used it with that laptop just fine. (Also running Win11) // 2) The HDMI / USB adapter -- it is brand new ordered from Amazon. I tested it with the monitor on my HP. No issues. 3) USB EXPANDER PORT -- Becs of the severe lack of USB ports on the new Dell, we use a USB expander port. It has 5 slots, but only 1 is currently in use. It is an external Logitech camera. The expander strip works just fine. No issues there.
It appears to have something to do with the fact that it is connected through a USB port. EXAMPLE: When I connect the LG monitor in question to the HP Envy via HDMI only, there is no issue. When I use the HDMI to USB adapter, it recognizes that there is something connected via USB, but does not actually recognize it as an additional monitor. (Will not "detect"). So, the fact that it is connected through USB seems to be at the core, but I don't know what comes next.

LDPRICHARD

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2015
Please list model names of your devices:
model name of laptop,​
model name of monitors,​
USB to HDMI adapter - please provide link to the product,​
USB EXPANDER PORT - what's that? USB hub of some kind? Please provide link to the product.​
1) USB EXPANSION - https://www.amazon.com/SmartQ-Expan...lja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

2) LG MONITOR - Info on the label on back: Model 20MK400H-B / DATE OF PRODUCTION = JAN 2022

3) LAPTOP = Dell Inspiron 16-7610, with Win 11, 11th Gen Intel Core i7--11800H

4) HDMI to USB adapter - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08XQHW8RT?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

1. USB EXPANSION - SmartQ H302S USB 3.0 Hub for Laptop
  2. LG MONITOR - Info on the label on back: Model 20MK400H-B / DATE OF PRODUCTION = JAN 2022
  3. LAPTOP = Dell Inspiron 16-7610, with Win 11, 11th Gen Intel Core i7--11800H
  4. HDMI to USB adapter - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08XQHW8RT?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Your laptop has USB-C port (with DP alt mode).
You can use a simple USB-C to displayport cable for monitor connection.

4607e67a34194b489393f5c7100621af

Your monitor doesn't seem to have DP input though.
So additional DP to HDMI adapter is required.

webdam.web.1000.1000.jpeg

LDPRICHARD

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2015
Your laptop has USB-C port (with DP alt mode).
You can use a simple USB-C to displayport cable for monitor connection.

4607e67a34194b489393f5c7100621af

Your monitor doesn't seem to have DP input though.
So additional DP to HDMI adapter is required.

webdam.web.1000.1000.jpeg
Thanks for the info, but as I said, I am a little bit of a tech idiot. I'm sure there's significance to what you just said, but I don't know what it is. BUT --- The monitor works FINE when it is just the SECOND monitor. However, when I try to make it function as a THIRD monitor --- the Dell computer will not recognize and a THIRD monitor. This is now and has always been my problem..

LDPRICHARD

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2015
Thanks for the info, but as I said, I am a little bit of a tech idiot. I'm sure there's significance to what you just said, but I don't know what it is. BUT --- The monitor works FINE when it is just the SECOND monitor. However, when I try to make it function as a THIRD monitor --- the Dell computer will not recognize and a THIRD monitor. This is now and has always been my problem..
Also, If there is a way to make this work with the equipment I have already purchased, that would be great. Yes, I understand that you are telling me "I can just...". Fine, for next time. But if there is a way to work with what I have, it would be really helpful.

LDPRICHARD

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2015
USB Expander Port. Also known as a hub as I understand your description.

Does the USB Expander port have its' own power supply?
No, it does not.

But -- I think somehow people are losing sight of the real question.

All of the hardware --- laptop, monitor, etc -- have all been in use for a while and function quiet normally.

MY DELL LAPTOP WILL NOT PERMIT ME TO ADD A THIRD MONITOR. This is the problem.
The LG monitor was previously used as a SECOND monitor. It works fine. But Win11 will not permit me to add a THIRD monitor. (My husband is a copy editor. It would really help him to have this connected to his Dell)

The ONLY new piece of hardware is ONLY the HDMI to USB adapter. But all of that aside, WIN-11 WILL NOT RECOGNIZE THE THIRD MONITOR

LDPRICHARD

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2015
PLEASE READ I think that in trying to add as much detail as possible, I might have somehow taken focus off of the real problem and question.

PROBLEM: WIN-11 will not recognize a THIRD monitor for the Dell laptop.

The LG monitor in question functions great -- as a SECOND monitor. No problem.

The problem arises when I try to make it the THIRD monitor

The ONLY new piece of hardware is the HDMI to USB converter. That's it. All other items have been on-hand and been in-use for a while. We know they work as they are supposed do.

When I plug the HDMI / USB adapter into the Dell, it pops up a dialog asking me what I want to do with this USB device. So I know the Dell is understanding that something is there.

But when I go to Display and try to Detect an additional monitor, it tells me there is nothing to detect.

So, I don't know if it is a matter of drivers or an update to Win-11 (but shouldn't be, as Win-11 did a forced update a few days ago).

A local friend suggested that I buy a "controller". And my guess is that he means something like this -- https://www.amazon.com/Docking-Mult...fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc&th=1

Would something like this solve my problem? But I'm thinking that -- no -- it wouldn't work, because I would STILL need Win-11 to understand that there is a third monitor.

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
The problem is that you are attempting to use a regular USB-3 port/hub to run a monitor, which it will NOT and CANNOT do...

However, if you buy a USB-C to Dual HDMI, adapter, it will work, as long as your lappy supports DP 1.4 w/ALT mode (or newer) which it should since it is brand new as you say....

lookie here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09MG464G6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

How can I be so certain that this works you may ask...

Because the Dell lappy I am typing this on is connected in this exact manner and it works flawlessly, and guess what... I actually have 3 monitors connected (not counting the lappy's screen), because I can still use the lappy's native HDMI port for the 3rd one ! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.