I can't play DVD on my toshiba laptop anymore..

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello,
my names alicia and I was watching a dvd last night on my computer like I do almost every night and then tonight when I tried to watch the same exact dvd it said it couldn't detect a disc in the drive. I tried 3 or 4 other dvds and none worked and I even tried using different players on the computer; windows media center, windows media player, toshiba dvd player, but they all said they couldnt detect anything. It sounds like its trying to play it but it wont anymore. I have absolutly no clue whats happened. Can anyone help me.. My computer is almost new and I have never had any problems with it before...

A. Restore does not erase your personal files and is reversible.
click start
click all programs
click accessories
click system tools
click system restore
check the box that says restore my computer to an earlier time, click next
select a bold date on the calendar, a date before the problem started, click next
follow through with the restore directions
restart the computer after it finishes
if the system restore does not work, select an even earlier bold date on the calendar and repeat the procedure
try this with at least four earlier dates before giving up and trying something else

B. I will try to walk you through that, just do one step at a time and relax upon it.

left click start in the lower left hand of the screen
left click run
type regedit
left click OK
Now the registry editor will come up
double left click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
double left click on SYSTEM
double left click on CurrentControlSet
double left click on Control
double left click on Class
double left click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
look on the right side of the window for upper filters
right click on upper filters
left click delete
windows will then ask you to confirm deletion
click yes
look on the right side of the window for lower filters
if you do not see lower filters, you may be out of luck on this one.
right click on lower filters
left click on delete
windows will then ask to confirm deletion
click yes
Close all the windows that are open
restart the computer

The CD or DVD should now be recognized. When you insert a disk a window will appear asking you what you want to do with the disk.

Just click what you want to do (play disk). Do not check the box that says: always perform this action when I insert a disk. Or if the box is checked, be sure to un-check the box.

This solution has worked as a cure for many computers that did not recognize an inserted disk. It has not worked 100% of the time.

G

I had puchased a used toshiba and the dvd /cd did not play. I tryed restore and reinstalling the drive. THANKS A BUNCH the removing of the filters did work.YEA.
Carol.

shadowclimber

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
Same issue with my Toshiba Satellite C660-14L

The player is a TSST Corp CDDVDW TS-L633J

It's only 3 months old. The player used to be working and I am able to burn DVD and CD on it. Then, suddenly it stops reading the disc in it.

It got power light on. Whenever I try to put a disc on it, it will make funny noises and seems to be reading. No window popping up asking me what to do with the disc.
I checked BIOS and the player is detected.
I checked device manager and it said the device is working properly.

I tried different solutions but none fix the problem.

I tried uninstall and reinstall of the player. Updating the driver. Not fixed.

I tried the System restore and it did not fix the problem.

I also tried regedit and there is no upperlimit or lowerlimit filters found in it.

Should I restor it back to original factory settings?

Or is it the CDDVDW player that needs replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.