Honorable
Jan 11, 2017
Here are the specs:
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming ii, BIOS 4602
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro
GPU: MSI Gaming X RX 5700 XT

Here is what I've tried so far:
EZ Flash 3 in BIOS - said BIOS was not UEFI even with secure boot off and BIOS renamed. I also reset everything to default then tried it again, still didn't update ( It's been a few weeks since I've attempted this update, so I'm not sure if my BIOS settings were reset or if I reset something else. I'm doubting that the BIOS was reset though )

BIOSFLK - LED turned solid green indicating that the update failed, also tried this will secure boot off and with BIOS renamed

AI Suite 3 - online update didn't work, manual update recognized the file and displayed the correct info for my board but still didn't work. BIOS was also renamed for this

Trying all of this had me completely resetting my pc, so CMOS was cleared and Windows 11 was reinstalled because things got too broken afterwards. Everything works fine now but I am getting closer to PC upgrade plans that I made with some friends, so I'm wanting to try updating the BIOS again soon. For context on the upgrade, I plan on going to a 5800x3d and 7900XT with everything else staying the same. The only thing I didn't try while updating my BIOS was resetting it to factory default before attempting the update. I heard recently that you're supposed to do this first but I never knew. Would that be the solution?

I've never had to reset to default values before updating and I do not believe it has any bearing on the success or failure of a BIOS update attempt.

You tried using BIOS Flashback and it failed? You tried EXACTLY as outlined here:

If so, you might want to actually remove the CPU and then try flashing the BIOS using BIOS Flashback. Obviously you shouldn't have to do THAT either, but I have seen a couple of occasions where doing so resulted in a successful flash attempt that didn't want to work with the CPU still installed.

May be worth a try anyhow.

Here are the specs:
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming ii, BIOS 4602
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro
GPU: MSI Gaming X RX 5700 XT

Here is what I've tried so far:
EZ Flash 3 in BIOS - said BIOS was not UEFI even with secure boot off and BIOS renamed. I also reset everything to default then tried it again, still didn't update ( It's been a few weeks since I've attempted this update, so I'm not sure if my BIOS settings were reset or if I reset something else. I'm doubting that the BIOS was reset though )

BIOSFLK - LED turned solid green indicating that the update failed, also tried this will secure boot off and with BIOS renamed

AI Suite 3 - online update didn't work, manual update recognized the file and displayed the correct info for my board but still didn't work. BIOS was also renamed for this

Trying all of this had me completely resetting my pc, so CMOS was cleared and Windows 11 was reinstalled because things got too broken afterwards. Everything works fine now but I am getting closer to PC upgrade plans that I made with some friends, so I'm wanting to try updating the BIOS again soon. For context on the upgrade, I plan on going to a 5800x3d and 7900XT with everything else staying the same. The only thing I didn't try while updating my BIOS was resetting it to factory default before attempting the update. I heard recently that you're supposed to do this first but I never knew. Would that be the solution?
You didn't say, but did you extract the BIOS binary from the compressed distribution file? It has to be named correct, I think with a .CAP suffix for Asus.

You can use the BIOS flashback process but read the instructions carefully. Correct naming of the BIOS binary is even more important as it's case sensitive; usually there's a utility bundled with the distribution that you can use to rename it correctly.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxE3OK6TzYc

JacobGiles

Honorable
Jan 11, 2017
I've never had to reset to default values before updating and I do not believe it has any bearing on the success or failure of a BIOS update attempt.

You tried using BIOS Flashback and it failed? You tried EXACTLY as outlined here:

If so, you might want to actually remove the CPU and then try flashing the BIOS using BIOS Flashback. Obviously you shouldn't have to do THAT either, but I have seen a couple of occasions where doing so resulted in a successful flash attempt that didn't want to work with the CPU still installed.

May be worth a try anyhow.
I followed everything exactly as the guides said but it still didn't work, so I'll probably try updating it without a CPU installed once I buy the new one

JacobGiles

Honorable
Jan 11, 2017
I didn't find a solution for BIOS updating with the 5600x, but it did work on the first try after I installed the 5800x3D. The method I used to update it was EZ Flash in the BIOS. Not sure what the exact issue was, maybe it was the CPU itself, but I figured I should update this thread

So, you never tried updating without a CPU installed? Also, your solution was unselected. Members are not allowed to be selected as the best answer on their own thread even though the system will allow you to do this. Well, at least you got it resolved. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.