Feb 19, 2022
As the title suggests, I built my PC and I can't set full frequency to G.SKILL RIPJAWS V 3600MHz 16GB. A-XMP just sets the memory to 2133 Mhz which is unacceptable for gaming on integrated graphics. When I tried to manually clock the RAM the system doesn't boot and I need to reset the CMOS....
My specs:
Ryzen 5 5600g
MSI B550 MPG GAMING PLUS
GSKILL RIPJAWS V 3600 16GB
128GB SSD
2TB HDD

Solution
Is that 2x 8GB sticks?

Make sure you're using 2nd and 4th slot from cpu for Xmp to work, not 1st/3rd. 1st/3rd aren't the primary slots and Xmp doesn't usually work on Ryzen if primaries aren't used first.

Cpu -> 1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th -> edge of board
As the title suggests, I built my PC and I can't set full frequency to G.SKILL RIPJAWS V 3600MHz 16GB. A-XMP just sets the memory to 2133 Mhz which is unacceptable for gaming on integrated graphics. When I tried to manually clock the RAM the system doesn't boot and I need to reset the CMOS....
My specs:
Ryzen 5 5600g
MSI B550 MPG GAMING PLUS
GSKILL RIPJAWS V 3600 16GB
128GB SSD
2TB HDD
Could you give a thaiphoon burner read and zentimings read and post it here?

Update motherboard BIOS to latest at first. Then enable A-XMP and set DRAM Frequency to Auto. Reboot and see what happens.

MSI MPG B550 motherboard BIOS-es also have Memory Try It! feature - worth enough to pay attention. Particularly for MSI MPG B550 Gaming Edge with G.SKILL RipJaws V 16GB, 3600MHz CL16 RAM modules I have it turned out the only way how to achieve stable 3600 MHz.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Is that 2x 8GB sticks?

Make sure you're using 2nd and 4th slot from cpu for Xmp to work, not 1st/3rd. 1st/3rd aren't the primary slots and Xmp doesn't usually work on Ryzen if primaries aren't used first.

Reactions: Krotow
Solution
Feb 19, 2022
Update motherboard BIOS to latest at first. Then enable A-XMP and set DRAM Frequency to Auto. Reboot and see what happens.

MSI MPG B550 motherboard BIOS-es also have Memory Try It! feature - worth enough to pay attention. Particularly for MSI MPG B550 Gaming Edge with G.SKILL RipJaws V 16GB, 3600MHz CL16 RAM modules I have it turned out the only way how to achieve stable 3600 MHz.
I will try updating the bios. If I remember correctly, Memory try it! doesn't have 3600 MHz option, but i'm not sure. Gotta check it out thought!

Feb 19, 2022
Is that 2x 8GB sticks?

Yes, it is 2x8GB sticks in 2,4 slots.

Feb 19, 2022
Might help further if you upload screenshots of cpuz spd and memory tabs and picture of bios Xmp setting.

Check Xmp is setting dram voltage to 1.35v before saving changes on exit.
Well, I have already tried XMP and the correct voltage, I can't send pictures of cpu-z because I haven't installed Windows yet, but I can send a pic of the Bios.

Feb 19, 2022
Yeah might help.

Also try disable fast boot if that's on so motherboard goes through it's memory training phases properly. It might reboot a few times, if it does, let it do it's thing.
The BIOS update didn't work nor the fast boot! Can the problem be on the RAM itself? I'm thinking of returning them and getting the same kit. Is there any other option before I do that?

The BIOS update didn't work nor the fast boot! Can the problem be on the RAM itself? I'm thinking of returning them and getting the same kit. Is there any other option before I do that?
assuming you're on the latest bios, could you try to enable xmp, then try this settings:
SOC Voltage to 1.15v
VDDG CCD and IOD to 0.955v
VDDP to 0.950v

then in advanced timing:
Command Rate to 2T

Disable Gear Down Mode (if its on auto and cant be changed, then skip this)
Disable Power Down Mode
Enable Dram Latency Enhancer
ProcODT to 40 or 43.6
ClkDrvStr, AddrCmdDrvStr, CsOdtDrvStr, CkeDrvStr, to 24.

then save and exit.

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador

What was that about bios update?

Try the above settings. I think command rate with DDR4 is 2t by default nowadays. And try just one stick in 2nd slot, try both and see what you get.

Feb 19, 2022
assuming you're on the latest bios, could you try to enable xmp, then try this settings:
SOC Voltage to 1.15v
VDDG CCD and IOD to 0.955v
VDDP to 0.950v

then in advanced timing:
Command Rate to 2T

Disable Gear Down Mode (if its on auto and cant be changed, then skip this)
Disable Power Down Mode
Enable Dram Latency Enhancer
ProcODT to 40 or 43.6
ClkDrvStr, AddrCmdDrvStr, CsOdtDrvStr, CkeDrvStr, to 24.

then save and exit.
Well, when I try to change frequency via xmp or not, when I restart, the system hangs and I need to reset the CMOS to go back to defaults. I will try the rest of the settings tho combined with xmp and see if t works.

Last edited:
Reactions: Koekieezz
Feb 19, 2022
What was that about bios update?

Try the above settings. I think command rate with DDR4 is 2t by default nowadays. And try just one stick in 2nd slot, try both and see what you get.
The BIOS update worked but it didn't change anything, the problem was still there! Do the options mentioned earlier have the same results with changin frequency manually, because when I do it I need to reset the CMOS

Feb 19, 2022
UPDATE:
I tried Memory Try It! at 3200 MHz and it worked, it is acceptable to me. Thanks for the replies! I did send a return request but if it doesn't get accepted, I will be alright!

TradeJack01

Prominent
Feb 19, 2022
If they are rated for 3600Mhz /w XMP then you should be able to get a return or money back, or a discount coupon for your next purchase or something if you prefer that over sending them back.