I Can't Set Up My PC As New?

TheCraftingProz

Reputable
May 1, 2015
Hi, I re installed Windows 8.1 and during the setup, I logged in with my Microsoft Account. It asked me if I wanted to restore from a backup, or set up as new. I chose "set up as new". When I got to the desktop, my previous background and settings were there. That's not what I wanted. I wanted it to be set up as NEW. Does a new PC come with previous backgrounds and settings? No! How can I make everything default from the time I first made the Microsoft Account. I don't want it to back up ANY personalize settings, or Windows settings. I want it to be how it was the first day I ever used it. When absolutely everything was stock and default. How can I do that?

GamingInsider

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2015
Sounds like your settings were synced to OneDrive and then loaded on to the computer when you signed in with your Microsoft Account. You may try turning off what gets synced and then do another clean install of Windows 8/8.1. Links are at the bottom of the thread.

Sync-your-settings-option-600x375.png

To choose which settings to sync

Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
(If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)

Tap or click OneDrive, and then tap or click Sync settings.

Under the different settings categories, turn off the settings you no longer want to sync.

To stop syncing all settings

Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
(If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)

Tap or click OneDrive, and then tap or click Sync settings.

Under the Sync settings with OneDrive heading, turn off Sync your settings on this PC.

Microsoft account:

You use your email address and password to sign in to Windows 8.
When you sign in with a Microsoft account, your PC is connected to the cloud.
Your friends’ contact info and statuses are automatically up to date from your Hotmail, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and other accounts.
You can get to and share your photos, documents, and other files from SkyDrive, Facebook, Flickr, and other accounts without signing in to each one.
Your personal settings are synced to any PC running Windows 8 that you sign in to, including your themes, language preferences, browser favorites, and apps.
You can get apps in the Windows Store and use them on any PC running Windows 8 that you sign in to.
Easily reacquire your Metro style apps on multiple Windows 8 PCs. The app’s settings and last-used state persist across all your Windows 8 PCs.
You can associate the most commonly used Windows settings to your user account. In this way, the saved settings are available when you sign in to your account on any Windows 8 PC. So your PC will be set up just the way you are used to.
You can also save time with sign-in credentials, because now the same credentials are available for the different apps and websites you use and you can easily get back into them without having to enter credentials every time.
You can automatically sign in to apps and services that use Windows Live ID for authentication.
You may try out any of the listed links below to see if they help with your situation.

TheCraftingProz

Reputable
May 1, 2015

I turned those settings off, but they seem to turn back on after re-installing Windows