[SOLVED] I cleaned my prebuilt Gaming PC now it crashes even while trying to attempt safe mode?

Jan 30, 2021
Warning: This may take long to read BUT I am forever grateful for your time to read my plead for help.

On January 29, 2021
I have decided to open my prebuilt gaming PC (though it uses an adaptor that is technically for laptops as a power supply) called the ASUS ROG G20CB. In forms of spec it follows:

i7 6700 CPU
GTX Geforce 970/980 (I already forgot which it is because I'm already heart broken)
Not sure what motherboard it uses but anything from ASUS anything goes right?

This will possibly be the most descriptive report to ask the community for help but in any way means I appreciate any piece of help that can bring my baby back it means a lot to me.

Taking the reins to clean the PC, I ended up looking through some YT videos on how to open the damn thing. My intention was clear, it was literally to clean things up and perhaps take a peak on what I can consider to possibly upgrading it slightly further.

Now to make this very clear the GPU has this elbow extension for the slot which only attaches to 1 available slot (and hell I dont even know if its a PCI/E but its the only slot the GPU connects to.) In short, I was able (miserably) to remove the GPU and set it aside while following directions from certain videos on which parts I should blow air in and out from. It was simply I didnt touch anything such as the motherboard but I think I will blame myself on a small little error.

Error on my part: As I said the GPU has this elbow connector which connects to the slot. The slot has those little side things where you push down as you would if you were to install ram (I am one hell of a noob) but it took me more than I should in order to unclip the slot allowing me to remove the GPU.
So in return have I somehow damage that particular component? I ask this since when I did add the GPU back in, I was supposed to press it back allowing it to "click" but I didn't hear a "click" which causes me to look over and by grabbing a pen I have to manuever the pen to push the clip back into place to lock the elbow connector in.

More on this GPU that suspect it being the error as we move on from here.

At this point everything was reassembled back into place. I put the cover back on, ran the thing and it work fine, or so I thought. So some reports here:

Cleaning the PC up I was able to boot significantly to the same consistency as I would when I first got the PC. GREAT! This is what I was hoping for... or so I thought. I decided to run up Warzone. Within reach my computer ran into this error which pretty much says that my computer doesnt support a particular.... erm see this is where I lost what it was. BUT what I ended up doing was checking if my GPU waa being used since I do remember thats what it was related to.

Problem #2 arises: GPU was not being detected.
So the GPU wasnt being used. Gefore GTX 970/980 wasnt there and it seems that my computer is detecting that its using the intergrated GPU that came with the CPU or MOBO. It was using something like Intel something something 5xx or some sort.

Diagnostics #1: Did my first diagnostic myself which was to go to device management.
Conclusion: Found it!
Problem: The intended GPU was greyed out.
Conclusion: Disable the integrated GPU to enable the dedicated GPU.
Problem: It gave me the ability to disable the integrated GPU but not enable the dedicated GPU that I wish to desire which it was also greyed out.
Conclusion: I decided to uninstall GeForce GTX 970/980 and all the drivers that came with it.

So from here my goal was to technically reinstall the drivers and with Nvidia I was aiming to install GeForce Experience which technically allows me to pretty much reinstall all the drivers on the fly for my GPU.

Problem #2: GPU was not being identified: So by installing Nvidia Geforce Experience it technically says that I could not install it due to the fact that I don't have an Nvidia product?
Conclusion: I decided to try again by taking out the GPU and reinstalling it back in this time I left the cover out. I can see that the fan was running on the GPU indicating that power was going through the GPU but yet my computer does not detect it.

So running more diagnostics I did this by looking through the internet for some answers. I pretty much did what most of Google has given me which was to uninstall/reinstall but I started to panic to the point where I decided to resort into using the roll back method...was it called System Restore? Man I suck at this so please bare with me.

The system restore possibly took around 2 hours. Things look gloom because it still didnt get me any closer to my goal. In fact it made me once again open the PC up and I have taken more consideration into ensuring that the card was connected properly. The pin connector was connected properly, power supply and every bits of detail such as checking for dust in the PCI/E slot and within the small confinements of the elbow connector. This time I gave it a good push into the slot, grabbed a pen to flip up the tab to secure the PCI/E slot (I did notice that there was no click and the way that the mechanism was a bit.. loose? Yet the pins was showing as I insert the elbow connector into the slot.) And finally gave her one last hard reboot.

Big problem 1: System started to display blue screen crash with the :( face MULTIPLE times.
The code stated was Critical Process_ERROR or died. It was the first one when you scan the QR code and it takes you to the windows webpage.
Conclusion: Reboot into safe mode. But before that I do also need to make a side report that my computer does its own diagnostic repair on itself.
BIG PROBLEM 2: The computer runs into the same problems locking me out of any advance start ups such as:
Blue Screen while attempting Safe Mode!?!?!?

So I decided to go to bed, and use this forum. Im thinking of removing the graphics card as soon as I wake up to further see if it makes a difference. Maybe I did something to the GPU? Maybe the slot is no longer on my side? I'm so tired trying to make it come back to life for the past 5 hours that I give all of you who does this for passion mad respect. So please help me. At what point do I draw the line and say farewell or should I just salvage whatever I can use and build a new PC. I really love this PC, got it back in 2016 and I just wanted to give it some cleaning you know? ;(

Solution
Final update: So I recieved my PC and it now works. He had to reinstall windows and optimized it to the best performance. He believes that the strange occurence may have happened while I was removing the GPU or putting the GPU back in place since the GPU works fine after doing stress runs.
Jan 30, 2021
Update 1: Motherboard is the H170-G20CB/DP-MB. Made sure all connections were intact.
I went into advance options on the blue screen and went to 'Keep My Files' with a promopt that reads "There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made."
So I went into startup repair as this reads
Start Up Repair couldn't repair your PC
Press "Advanced options" to try other options to repair your PC or "Shut down" to turn off your PC.
Log file: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt

Jan 30, 2021
Update 3. Had a friend come over and pick up the entire rig and found scratches on the graphics card. So as I was having a hard time pulling it out I may have made contact with the pins on the graphics card somewhere. Now he is diagnosing it for me by redownloading windows seemingly that the registry might also have been corrupted.

Jan 30, 2021
Final update: So I recieved my PC and it now works. He had to reinstall windows and optimized it to the best performance. He believes that the strange occurence may have happened while I was removing the GPU or putting the GPU back in place since the GPU works fine after doing stress runs.

Reactions: Vic 40
Solution