Question I constantly need to reset "Wi-Fi Adapter" to get internet working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetrise

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2016
As of recent, my PC has started to play up with the internet. On most startups, it connects fine. I'll get into a game or start watching YouTube and all of a sudden it'll disconnect itself. Sometimes, it recovers and connects again within a matter of seconds. This occurs once every 10-15 minutes. To fix this, I currently use the windows troubleshooting option for the network, and it always fixes it by "resetting the network adapter". I recently installed a program called Port Forwarder and switched my IP to static to host a server for a game, however, I have switched back to a dynamic IP.

I've also checked that my WiFi is not going down by testing with other devices.

Network Details:
Router: Hitron CGNV4-FX4
Number of Devices: 5-10 (Student Flat)
ISP: Virgin Media (Fibre)

PC Details:
CPU: i7 4790k (No OC)
PSU: CS650M Corsair
WiFi Adapter: Realtek 8812AE PCI-E (Driver Version: 2023.1.1201.2014)
GPU: GTX 1060

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Is your wireless adapter the little USB driven dongles or an add-in PCIe expansion card or perhaps an add-on wifi card bundled with the board? Are you on the latest BIOS update for your platform?

Might want to list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Reactions: Jetrise
If the wireless adapter doesn't have this issue when connected to a different PC, then it can really only be a driver issue. I would find and install the latest driver for your device and operating system version (Including bit depth, 32 or 64) and see if that doesn't cure the issue. It may be that windows has installed it's own driver, and that may not be the best option for that device.

BKsniperguy

Reputable
May 20, 2019
As of recent, my PC has started to play up with the internet. On most startups, it connects fine. I'll get into a game or start watching YouTube and all of a sudden it'll disconnect itself. Sometimes, it recovers and connects again within a matter of seconds. This occurs once every 10-15 minutes. To fix this, I currently use the windows troubleshooting option for the network, and it always fixes it by "resetting the network adapter". I recently installed a program called Port Forwarder and switched my IP to static to host a server for a game, however, I have switched back to a dynamic IP.

I've also checked that my WiFi is not going down by testing with other devices.

Network Details:
Router: Hitron CGNV4-FX4
Number of Devices: 5-10 (Student Flat)
ISP: Virgin Media (Fibre)

PC Details:
CPU: i7 4790k (No OC)
PSU: CS650M Corsair
WiFi Adapter: Realtek 8812AE PCI-E (Driver Version: 2023.1.1201.2014)
GPU: GTX 1060
i have the exact same problem on my windows 7 laptop

BKsniperguy

Reputable
May 20, 2019
If you have a laptop you do not have "the exact same problem" since they have a PCI network adapter installed in a desktop motherboard and yours is either an integrated adapter on the mainboard or an M.2 NIC.
I meant my laptop does the same thing and it has the same temporary solution even though they might be unrelated causes.

Jetrise

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2016
Yes, I have.

I've also fixed it. I noticed my DNS server address was hopping around everywhere, and it occurred when my internet would cease to work. I've set my IPV4 DNS to Google's, and that seems to have worked thus far. I will give it a day or two before making this the answer.

Jetrise

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2016
Okay it's been an entire day and I think it's safe to say that it has worked, given it was disconnecting every ten minutes on average. Below is the steps I done to fix it:

1. Open Control Panel
  2. Navigate to "Network and Internet".
  3. Then navigate to "Network and Sharing Centre".
  4. On the far left column, click "Change Adapter Settings".
  5. Right click on affected network adapter and select, "Properties".
  6. In the box below where it says, "This connection uses the following items", click on the row that says, "Internet Protocol Version 4". Following that, click on the button, "Properties".
  7. Under the "General Tab", click the bullet, "Use the following DNS Server address".
  8. In the preferred DNS box, type, "8.8.8.8". (This is the address for the Google DNS server, and is safe)
  9. In the alternative DNS box, type, "8.8.4.4". (This is the address for the Google DNS server, and is safe)
  10. Finally, click the tick box for validation. Once you click okay, a troubleshooter dialog will appear confirming you are connected to the internet.

We do not allow setting your own answer as the best answer. Too much opportunity for gaming the system. Post will be closed for the time being. If you discover that the problem is not in fact resolved, and I'm not certain that your "fix" is either permanent or appropriate as you should not need to use the Google DNS server for any system, then PM me and I will re-open the thread to additional input. In no case will selecting your own answer to your own question be allowed to remain as the BA whether it is the solution or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.