[SOLVED] I did not eject my external USB HDD before unplugging it, Am I in trouble ?

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
I have an 8TB drive which contains some folders with certain data in them...I used a folder to ISO converter to convert a folder in my 8TB into an ISO image onto my 500GB USB HDD..

So basically, Read from the 8TB drive --> Convert to ISO --> Write the ISO onto the 500GB USB HDD

I converted a folder this way and the converter program confirmed that the process is done..so I closed the converter program and unplugged my 8TB USB HDD without ejecting it first....Am I in trouble ?

I guess Removal policy was set to default(Quick Removal) in the device's properties, since I never touched it...

Solution
I wasn't writing to it...just reading from it...

Also, If you change the removal policy to "Better Performance" .. would the option be preserved when you disconnect and then reconnect the USB drive ? even if re-connecting it to a different USB port ?
Still need to wait for operation to finish, one way or other, must understand that even when reading data some things are also written to ti, like updating "Last accessed date/time" to file read. Removal policy to "Better Performance" enables write caching and cache is purged after finishing, otherwise it's not purged. Those are only differences, Safely remove hardware ensures that all operations are finished before giving you sign "Clear to remove".
If you connect same drive to...

USAFRet

Titan
I have an 8TB drive which contains some folders with certain data in them...I used a folder to ISO converter to convert a folder in my 8TB into an ISO image onto my 500GB USB HDD..

So basically, Read from the 8TB drive --> Convert to ISO --> Write the ISO onto the 500GB USB HDD

I converted a folder this way and the converter program confirmed that the process is done..so I closed the converter program and unplugged my 8TB USB HDD without ejecting it first....Am I in trouble ?

I guess Removal policy was set to default(Quick Removal) in the device's properties, since I never touched it...
Only way to know is to test the data.
Is it what you expected?

Most probably not if writing was to it was completed. At worst you may have some data corruption.

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
Most probably not if writing was to it was completed. At worst you may have some data corruption.

Also, If you change the removal policy to "Better Performance" .. would the option be preserved when you disconnect and then reconnect the USB drive ? even if re-connecting it to a different USB port ?

Still need to wait for operation to finish, one way or other, must understand that even when reading data some things are also written to ti, like updating "Last accessed date/time" to file read. Removal policy to "Better Performance" enables write caching and cache is purged after finishing, otherwise it's not purged. Those are only differences, Safely remove hardware ensures that all operations are finished before giving you sign "Clear to remove".
If you connect same drive to another USB port it's likely it will get another letter and in any case it's treated as new connection/drive and everything starts from scratch.

Solution