[SOLVED] I Did Something STUPID - is my Hard Drive Salvageable

Nov 24, 2019
Hey all,

I have a WD 4TB External HDD and I was moving a large file onto it, but it seemed to crash my Laptop and after waiting and waiting I got frustrated and just yanked the cable out of my laptop (I know! what did I expect was gonna happen? 😣) anyway when I put the cable back in it would show up in File Explorer as ( E: ) when usually it was called "Elements" when I try to open it, it would just perpetually load and never actually open.

I thought okay I've corrupted the drive, I tried to open disk manager but now disk manager wont load too, I tried using diskpart on cmd and that also wouldn't load, I thought I had broke my whole damn laptop.

I restarted my laptop and the laptop wouldn't restart! I unplugged the drive and then it finally turned off, I plugged it back in and turned the laptop back on and the laptop would be stuck on the manufactures logo. When I pull the drive out everything works again.

So my problems is that I cannot format the drive or repair it because any time its plugged in my computer just stops running properly.

Does anybody know what I can do to try and fix the drive? I have no problem with wiping it as I more or less have everything backed up elsewhere too.

I would really appreciate the help because I don't want to spend another £80-£90 on a new one.

Really big thanks for having a read.

-Muzam

Solution
Sounds like a dead drive to me. The laptop is fine as it boots without the dead drive attached. It died while trying to copy a large file. Not because you pulled the cable. Only thing I can think of is to open the unit and attach it to a PC in case the USB part of it is causing issues. WARNING!!! Opening the external drive could void the warranty. What I would do is return the drive for a new one. 4TBs are newer and hopefully there is some warranty left.

4745454b

Titan
Sounds like a dead drive to me. The laptop is fine as it boots without the dead drive attached. It died while trying to copy a large file. Not because you pulled the cable. Only thing I can think of is to open the unit and attach it to a PC in case the USB part of it is causing issues. WARNING!!! Opening the external drive could void the warranty. What I would do is return the drive for a new one. 4TBs are newer and hopefully there is some warranty left.

Reactions: Muzam
Solution

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hey all,

I have a WD 4TB External HDD and I was moving a large file onto it, but it seemed to crash my Laptop and after waiting and waiting I got frustrated and just yanked the cable out of my laptop (I know! what did I expect was gonna happen? 😣) anyway when I put the cable back in it would show up in File Explorer as ( E: ) when usually it was called "Elements" when I try to open it, it would just perpetually load and never actually open.

I thought okay I've corrupted the drive, I tried to open disk manager but now disk manager wont load too, I tried using diskpart on cmd and that also wouldn't load, I thought I had broke my whole damn laptop.

I restarted my laptop and the laptop wouldn't restart! I unplugged the drive and then it finally turned off, I plugged it back in and turned the laptop back on and the laptop would be stuck on the manufactures logo. When I pull the drive out everything works again.

So my problems is that I cannot format the drive or repair it because any time its plugged in my computer just stops running properly.

Does anybody know what I can do to try and fix the drive? I have no problem with wiping it as I more or less have everything backed up elsewhere too.

I would really appreciate the help because I don't want to spend another £80-£90 on a new one.

Really big thanks for having a read.

-Muzam

1. Start your laptop.
  2. Download & install Recuva (Safe)
  3. Plug in the drive, but don't access it. Close any screens that pop up.
  4. Run Recuva. Yuo may be able to salvage the drive or at least save the data.

Let us know how it goes. :)

Unplugging should not have caused any permanent damage.
Likely there was a problem with the drive or the adapter enclosure.
If the unit is still under warranty, create a RMA with WD.

If you are stuck, take the drive out of the enclosure and see if it works on a pc with an available sata data and power connection.
If no such pc is available. buy a usb to sata adapter cable.
It will need extra power, more than what usb can provide.
Here is an example of such an adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-5-25-INCH-Converter-Activity-USB-DSC9/dp/B00DQJME7Y

Nov 24, 2019

Thank you so much I just remembered that I had a warranty on it, I contacted the vendor and they will send me a replacement

Thanks to everyone else with the suggestions though I really appreciate it

- Muzam :D

Reactions: Mrgr74