Question I Don't get over stable %90 gpu usage Does My System Suffers from Bottleneck?

ink123

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
My System

I7 4790k
Msi Gtx 1070 ti
Msi Gaming 5 z97
16 gb 8x2 Gskill 1600 mhz ram
and 1 TB HDD Unfortunately I don't have SSD

View: https://imgur.com/tcwxGzj

View: https://imgur.com/gZC9yaw

In Watch Dogs 2 In mission areas I get mostly &90 gpu usage but in city my gpu usage average 60-55%
In most of the AAA games I don't get a stable gpu usage over &90 most of the time I get %75-80 average

This guy in this video gets a stable %99 gpu usage in Watch Dogs 2
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNdmCU-o558&t=1297s

yaxy123

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017
Do you have a frame limit or Vsync on, because these will make it so your GPU doesn't make more frames than needed.

The guy in the video is using a texture pack which will put the GPU under more stress meaning you might get frames below 60 or whatever the limit is set on.

Usually, limits are based on display or sometimes developers lock you at 60 because the engine runs at that speed, Skyrim does this for example.

ink123

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
Yeah Vsync is on I will set it off and will se whether it will make difference

So is it normal if my gpu usage downs to fifties in terms of gpu usage while playing a demanding AAA game? Is it normal if don't get a stable gpu usage over nineties

This guy in this video gets a stable %99 gpu usage in Watch Dogs 2
Are you using the exact same graphics settings as him? He's running at max settings with the ultra texture pack installed. As a result, his frame rates at 1440p are hovering in the 30s and 40s most of the time, with some drops into the 20s. With the settings maxed out like that, his graphics card is what's limiting performance, and the CPU has no problem keeping up with those lower frame rates as a result.

If you are running the game at more modest settings to achieve better frame rates, then there will be less demand on the graphics card, and you may find that your CPU is limiting frame rates more often.

ink123

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
Are you using the exact same graphics settings as him? He's running at max settings with the ultra texture pack installed. As a result, his frame rates at 1440p are hovering in the 30s and 40s most of the time, with some drops into the 20s. With the settings maxed out like that, his graphics card is what's limiting performance, and the CPU has no problem keeping up with those lower frame rates as a result.

If you are running the game at more modest settings to achieve better frame rates, then there will be less demand on the graphics card, and you may find that your CPU is limiting frame rates more often.

Yeah I don't have the exact settings with him but my fps also is around 30-40 when I'm in city center. In city center My cpu usage reaches %99 and it hovers around %90 and at the same time my gpu usage is generally max %60 this makes me think of bottleneck

yaxy123

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017
Yeah I don't have the exact settings with him but my fps also is around 30-40 when I'm in city center. In city center My cpu usage reaches %99 and it hovers around %90 and at the same time my gpu usage is generally max %60 this makes me think of bottleneck
What resolution are you playing on? I remember getting better frames with a 1060 and a worse processor on 1080p