[SOLVED] I dont see any screen tearing but people keep pushing me to change my settings what should I do?

ChrisComments

Prominent
Aug 11, 2020
So my AOC 24g2u is GSYNC compatible which is great, and right now I have gsync in nvidia control panel on as shown and vsync off in control panel also vsync off in games and my fps set to unlimited. like shown
Is that bad? Like I was told its best to (dont quote me on this My memory is poop) to have BOTH gsync and vsync on in nvidia control panel and in game have vsync then limit your fps to 4 below since mine is 144hz. And thats meant to make it so apparently it never leaves gsync range or something? Its all really confusing to me I would love to learn more about tech in general I built this my first pc after 10 years of craptop gaming like 5 weeks ago? My craptop didnt even have 60 hz but like 59.8 or something.
This is the reddit where I got this info from. some top comments but its all very confusing. Like with my current set up like i mentioned above I feel fine I dont see any tearing and yes I know people in the reddit said that people eyes might just see things differently someone actually said in that reddit they sat next to someone who didnt use the settings they are talking about and he saw tearing. there is also this blurbusters article this one here really got me wanting to change Like what If i dont even get 144 fps in some games should I still do what these guys are recommending? That reddit post also has a video Im going to check out.
But yeah if you guys should give me a detailed response (but detailed enough for a dumbo like me to understand that would be amazing.)

Another question dont these big streams and esports players have their fps uncapped and they are fine? Like for example Shroud in valorant has his fps uncapped he gets 250-300+ As shown here, and we all know his aim is one of the best out there still even some CSGO players dont cap their fps.
There is just so many like what do I call it, sources? It's really confusing.

Edit: Im only making this post because when I saw that reddit post, I made a comment saying what I said here about my settings and it got a lot of upset people down voting me lol

Last edited:
Solution
Oh I see, I can still find ways to play at higher fps and keep the game looking good like division 2 and Apex
You can choose to do whatever you feel is best. Some could argue that your eyes cant see more than 120fps, some say 60fps. Human eyes cannot see things beyond 60Hz. So why are the 120Hz/144Hz monitors better? ... The eye transmits information to the brain, but some characteristics of the signal are lost or altered in the process. For example, the retina is capable of following lights that flash at a rapid rate. Its all over the place some will say different others will say this. The human eye can process up to 10-12 images per second and perceive the pictures being shown...

ChrisComments

Prominent
Aug 11, 2020
"people keep pushing me..."

Do things look OK to you? If so, ignore them,
Yeah I promise I tried HELLA hard to see if i notice anything going on graphically any input lag, screen tearing or latency problems it all looks hella smooth. I never liked limiting fps because I know this might sound bad but I love seeing high numbers seeing more fps always got me excited and a mini flex to myself. when you come of a craptop as bad as the one I had its really refreshing.

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
So you read that long a$$ blurbusters article huh.

If you're not seeing any tearing, you're fine.

FPS pros like Shroud have something different: their very own nervous system, understanding of the game, and skills.

Good hardware is a necessity but it can only take you so far. Remember, these pros have been fragging on 60hz 10ms ViewSonic CRT monitors.

HaizRail007

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
Okay, bro, don't fix what isn't broke, and if everything looks and run's fine to you, then don't worry about what other people think or say. Because at the end of the day, your the only that has to live with the tech not the people telling you to upgrade or what not. If your happy with it, then that's what counts.

Ferimer

Distinguished
So my AOC 24g2u is GSYNC compatible which is great, and right now I have gsync in nvidia control panel on as shown and vsync off in control panel also vsync off in games and my fps set to unlimited. like shown
Is that bad? Like I was told its best to (dont quote me on this My memory is poop) to have BOTH gsync and vsync on in nvidia control panel and in game have vsync then limit your fps to 4 below since mine is 144hz. And thats meant to make it so apparently it never leaves gsync range or something? Its all really confusing to me I would love to learn more about tech in general I built this my first pc after 10 years of craptop gaming like 5 weeks ago? My craptop didnt even have 60 hz but like 59.8 or something.
This is the reddit where I got this info from. some top comments but its all very confusing. Like with my current set up like i mentioned above I feel fine I dont see any tearing and yes I know people in the reddit said that people eyes might just see things differently someone actually said in that reddit they sat next to someone who didnt use the settings they are talking about and he saw tearing. there is also this blurbusters article this one here really got me wanting to change Like what If i dont even get 144 fps in some games should I still do what these guys are recommending? That reddit post also has a video Im going to check out.
But yeah if you guys should give me a detailed response (but detailed enough for a dumbo like me to understand that would be amazing.)

Another question dont these big streams and esports players have their fps uncapped and they are fine? Like for example Shroud in valorant has his fps uncapped he gets 250-300+ As shown here, and we all know his aim is one of the best out there still even some CSGO players dont cap their fps.
There is just so many like what do I call it, sources? It's really confusing.

Edit: Im only making this post because when I saw that reddit post, I made a comment saying what I said here about my settings and it got a lot of upset people down voting me lol
What is your GPU?

Ferimer

Distinguished
1660 super temp
I myself own a 1660 Super. i hard cap at 1080P. 60FPS in PUBG, most settings on ULTRA, obviously i turn down the less important stuff like foliage and water down to low. Most games I like to run on the Highest settings possible and cap at 60FPS as my monitor is a 144hz refresh rate. I hardly ever see 100% utilization on my GPU. Do i care to go further? Nope i prefer good looks and 60FPS is completely fine by me.

ChrisComments

Prominent
Aug 11, 2020
I myself own a 1660 Super. i hard cap at 1080P. 60FPS in PUBG, most settings on ULTRA, obviously i turn down the less important stuff like foliage and water down to low. Most games I like to run on the Highest settings possible and cap at 60FPS as my monitor is a 144hz refresh rate. I hardly ever see 100% utilization on my GPU. Do i care to go further? Nope i prefer good looks and 60FPS is completely fine by me.
Oh I see, I can still find ways to play at higher fps and keep the game looking good like division 2 and Apex

Ferimer

Distinguished
You can choose to do whatever you feel is best. Some could argue that your eyes cant see more than 120fps, some say 60fps. Human eyes cannot see things beyond 60Hz. So why are the 120Hz/144Hz monitors better? ... The eye transmits information to the brain, but some characteristics of the signal are lost or altered in the process. For example, the retina is capable of following lights that flash at a rapid rate. Its all over the place some will say different others will say this. The human eye can process up to 10-12 images per second and perceive the pictures being shown individually. When this rate goes up the person will perceive it as motion. Scientists and researchers working on this topic believe that the human brain perceives reality at a rate somewhere between 24 – 48 fps. It really comes down to what you prefer.

Solution