I don't understand PSU's

matthiasvdbroek3

Honorable
Oct 15, 2017
Hi everyone,

I have a few questions about power supplies.
I'm planning to build a new PC. I have doubts if i should buy a 550w or 650w PSU.
(Corsair TX550M or the V2Corsair TX650M V2)
In my country, the 650W costs only 11€ more, so that's not the problem.
If my pc uses 350W, and i have a 550W powersupply, is the watt going out my PC, just 350W or always 550W?
In other words: will my electricity bill be higher if i get the 650W PSU if i just consume as much power?

Btw, this is the PC: https://nl.pcpartpicker.com/list/T62Xhy

Hoop to hear from you guys :)

-Matthias

Solution
Corsair makes lots of PSUs that range from excellent to poor-mediocre. Most of the time you can't judge a PSU just by its brand, you need to look for reviews of that specific model. Seasonic may be an exception, as I don't think I've ever heard of a Seasonic PSU that wasn't at least decent.

Edit: As said above, your PC will only use however much power your parts demand, regardless of what the PSU is rated for. PSU's tend to be most efficient around 50% of their rated load, so you actual power draw may vary a bit based on the rated power of the PSU, but it should be minor and nothing worth worrying about.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Corsair makes lots of PSUs that range from excellent to poor-mediocre. Most of the time you can't judge a PSU just by its brand, you need to look for reviews of that specific model. Seasonic may be an exception, as I don't think I've ever heard of a Seasonic PSU that wasn't at least decent.

Edit: As said above, your PC will only use however much power your parts demand, regardless of what the PSU is rated for. PSU's tend to be most efficient around 50% of their rated load, so you actual power draw may vary a bit based on the rated power of the PSU, but it should be minor and nothing worth worrying about.

Solution

No, like I said it will only use the wattage the system needs. Here is another thread of a paranoid pc gamer that thinks his PSU is the cause of their electric bill spike:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3786251/psu-gaming-rig-lower-electric-bill.html

matthiasvdbroek3

Honorable
Oct 15, 2017

matthiasvdbroek3

Honorable
Oct 15, 2017

mhh allright, so you recommend Seasonic too? Which one should i get from them, I prefer a semi-modular or modular, under 100€

like said above, that corsair might be ok, it's just that we used them at work and had lots of failures, but I am not sure it's the model you want.

full modular is preferred to cut down on wire mess but semi is fine

research the corsair models and read some review on the one you want. if it's good and fits budget, get it.

matthiasvdbroek3

Honorable
Oct 15, 2017

thanks, i will do some research. also, i've checked the guarantee, on the corsair PSU 7 years, on the seasonic 3 years. So if the reviews of the corsair PSU are good, i will probably stick with that one.