I download and my ping soars

bpogdowz

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
I never used to have this problem. Called my ISP they gave me the middle finger. I'm wondering what the technical reasoning is behind this problem. Before I would download and the ping would hardly suffer. My speeds have never changed since I signed up with my ISP and they never fluctuate(2Mbit/1Mbit) constant. I did some pinging on another computer of mine on the same network with download going so there's no virus. I can build computers and stuff so don't even try to tell me I have some sort of malware issue.

The setup they have is a wireless 2.4Ghz spectrum that they transmit at those speeds then they buy fiber from another company. There's no way for them to change the speeds without everyone's speed changing with the spectrum. They have another tower that gives off a 1.5Mbit/768Kbit(assuming that's the upload) just so you know what kind of thing they got. I'm fortunate to live in the 2Mbit/1Mbit spectrum. They also offer digital cable television using the same equipment setup.

Do I contact my ISP's fiber optic's provider now?

damienG

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009

i beleive your awnser will be given from somebody who works at your ISP, i hate all ISP's but, damn i need them. I have eventually sorted out all my ping problems with my ISp through updates, just continue to badger your ISP they have to give you an awnser, though high ping + DL is very normal... unless ur DL speed is capped to allow for low ping..

bpogdowz

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
The answer I got was this: "There's nothing we can do about the ping route once it leaves us"

Tomorrow I should call them and show them the 400 ping on the very first hop from my house and then see what they say

Dekasav

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
What're you using to download with? I know some things are nice to your bandwidth/ping like Steam, and some are mean and like to hog it all like uTorrent.

tutubi

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
if youre using torrents to download, you can set the max # of kbps that you can download and kill all uploads... otherwise, if its just a regular download, then its really something with the ISP. you can always speak to a manager from the ISP if they still dont do anything about it.

Matthew Kane

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Really good luck with it, I still have this sort of problem with my ISP, and they gave me the middle finger. Did a tracert and everything also some mtu adjustments still samething. Things have gradually improved since now I use Win 7 rather then the *** XP, but I can't leave xfire on and play the same time or else I start pinging to about norm 20 to 150 to 200 to 1000 to 20 vice versa...

bpogdowz

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007

No it's not true Steam uses all of the bandwidth