[SOLVED] i dropped a hdd

Jun 12, 2019
today i bought a brand new wd blue 1 tb hdd, and right after i got it i dropped it on hard floor, from about 4 feet. it was still in the anti-static package and wrapped in a pretty thin foil and bubble wrap. my other parts for my new pc didn't arrive so i checked with my old pc and the hard is beeing recongnized in bios. does it mean it is working? or even though it is recongnized it may be broken and unusable?

Solution
Being recognized in BIOS just means that the computer can see it and the controller is working. That doesn't mean that with the fall the heads inside the drive aren't misaligned now. The only way to know that would be to attempt to use it.
As long as it wasn't spinning at the time (and in the package I assume it isn't spinning) the heads will be parked away from the platters and platters wouldn't be scratched. That doesn't mean something couldn't have its life reduced, but that bubble wrap is pretty good at reducing sharp impacts, so it might be completely unharmed. It does probably come with a warranty, just make sure you keep a physical and electronic copy of any receipt in case it fails before the end of warranty.