[SOLVED] I feel like my computer is underperforming

Feb 6, 2020
Hey guys,

I recently upgraded from a GTX 1060 6GB GPU to an RTX 2070 Super 8GB. When i installed it and ran a few games at max settings i.e League of Legends, Escape From Tarkov, COD: Modern Warfare and more, it killed them all like a champ with no stutters, any sort of lags etc. After a few hours i decided to update the drivers that it had, so i wouldn't get a message in the future saying that my GPU drivers are not up to date, after that it all went downhill. Now, in the same games with the same settings my pc won't perform like it did, i get low fps and playing games at high settings is just not possible. I took the gfx to a pc store so they could run some tests on it, they said its fine, then i gave them the whole pc to see if anything is acting up, it also came back as fine. At this point i don't what to do, please help :(

Average FPS per game:

League of Legends: 180-240 fps before the drivers and 150-110 fps after.
*Escape From Tarkov: 80-90 fps before (at max settings) and always bellow 60 fps at medium graphics or fluctuating from 65 to about 45 at low.
COD: Smooth gameplay with no stutters at max, now its horrible (i dont remember the fps count but you still get the point)
Need For Speed Heat: Constantly above 60fps at max settings, now its bellow that

*I know that Escape from Tarkov is still a Beta game that is lacking optimization but i've seen on forums and in general people with not so great rigs run it way way better than i do.

Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1800x
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Windforce 3X OC
MB: MSI B350 GAMING PLUS
RAM: Corsair16GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3600 Mhz
PSU: Be quiet! Straight Power 10 800W
Hard Drive: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB

Solution
As stated by johnsoner13 never ever use "update" or "boost" programs, they are terrible and honestly should be classified as malicious.

Id also agree to monitor your GPU with MSI After burner to check temps and usage and see if you can find a prooblem.

One issue i could maybe see with your current setup is the 1800X. First gen ryzen weren't bad but they really lagged behind in gaming performance. But it shouldnt be giving you less perfomrance then what you were getting, turn up the settings and see if that helps to push load on to your GPU.
Is your RAM single or Dual Channel? (single stick or two 8gb sticks?)

Try and reinstall the Nvidia driver using either the "clean install" option under the custom installation options. This may help. The next better option would be to download and use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to completely wipe all display drivers, Nvidia software and settings from your system and again download and install the latest driver.

Feb 6, 2020
Is your RAM single or Dual Channel? (single stick or two 8gb sticks?)

Try and reinstall the Nvidia driver using either the "clean install" option under the custom installation options. This may help. The next better option would be to download and use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to completely wipe all display drivers, Nvidia software and settings from your system and again download and install the latest driver.
Its Dual Channel, and i've reinstalled the drivers using the Nvidias "clean install" thingy, i have done it using the DDU as well but it still doesn't work :/

johnsoner13

Respectable
Its Dual Channel, and i've reinstalled the drivers using the Nvidias "clean install" thingy, i have done it using the DDU as well but it still doesn't work :/
When you used DDU, did you use it in safe mode and tick the option to “disable automatic windows driver updates” (or something along those lines)? Sometimes if you don’t do that, windows automatically installs drivers before you install the correct ones yourself and it can cause issues.
After a few hours i decided to update the drivers that it had, so i wouldn't get a message in the future saying that my GPU drivers are not up to date, after that it all went downhill
It could also just be an issue with the driver versionitself. Maybe try installing the driver version you had previously before you updated. I experienced similar problems with lower performance after updating to newer drivers when I still had my gtx 1060.

Feb 6, 2020
When you used DDU, did you use it in safe mode and tick the option to “disable automatic windows driver updates” (or something along those lines)? Sometimes if you don’t do that, windows automatically installs drivers before you install the correct ones yourself and it can cause issues.

It could also just be an issue with the driver versionitself. Maybe try installing the driver version you had previously before you updated. I experienced similar problems with lower performance after updating to newer drivers when I still had my gtx 1060.
I don't know what drivers it had before i installed new ones, i didn't check them. Is there a way to see them?

johnsoner13

Respectable
I don't know what drivers it had before i installed new ones, i didn't check them. Is there a way to see them?
not entirely sure... it’s a hassle but I think the best way is to work your way backwards from your current driver using the previous WHQL drivers until you either solve the issue or tire of reinstalling drivers so much. You probably don’t need to go back that far if the drivers are your issue; if after a couple different versions and it’s still not helping, it’s probably not the issue. But seeing as your issue only started happening after you updated, I’m thinking it’s just driver related.

Feb 6, 2020
not entirely sure... it’s a hassle but I think the best way is to work your way backwards from your current driver using the previous WHQL drivers until you either solve the issue or tire of reinstalling drivers so much. You probably don’t need to go back that far if the drivers are your issue; if after a couple different versions and it’s still not helping, it’s probably not the issue. But seeing as your issue only started happening after you updated, I’m thinking it’s just driver related.
I did roll back to some older versions like 2-3, but the performance didn't improve

Jul 27, 2019
you could download driver booster. driver booster will install the latest (and working) drivers for your gpu. if you really can't come up with a solution, and can't find one either.. what do you have to lose?

EDIT: IF you're going to use driver booster, don't update any drivers accept for the gpu driver. you should always try to update drivers manually. but when you aren't able to do it manually, it wouldn't hurt to let a program do it for you.

http://ld.iobit.com/freedownload/af...6cDP-TFv2O3X7sK66eV1-agFd8xV0utxoC6gIQAvD_BwE

Feb 6, 2020
you could download driver booster. driver booster will install the latest (and working) drivers for your gpu. if you really can't come up with a solution, and can't find one either.. what do you have to lose?

http://ld.iobit.com/freedownload/af...6cDP-TFv2O3X7sK66eV1-agFd8xV0utxoC6gIQAvD_BwE
I don't know if what i'm about to say is correct or not but what if the gpu changed from the overclock settings that it had on its own and just went back to some default/normal values and is the reason why it is not responding the same? Thoughts?

johnsoner13

Respectable

EDIT: IF you're going to use driver booster, don't update any drivers accept for the gpu driver. you should always try to update drivers manually. but when you aren't able to do it manually, it wouldn't hurt to let a program do it for you.

Don’t ever use programs like these to update your drivers, bad idea

Reactions: drivinfast247

johnsoner13

Respectable
I don't know if what i'm about to say is correct or not but what if the gpu changed from the overclock settings that it had on its own and just went back to some default/normal values and is the reason why it is not responding the same? Thoughts?
What are your CPU and GPU temps while gaming? Clock speeds? You can use MSI afterburner/rivatuner to monitor these ingame. Just install rivatuner when installing msi afterburner and then open up MSI afterburner, go into settings, and choose what you want to see in the on screen display tab.

As stated by johnsoner13 never ever use "update" or "boost" programs, they are terrible and honestly should be classified as malicious.

Id also agree to monitor your GPU with MSI After burner to check temps and usage and see if you can find a prooblem.

One issue i could maybe see with your current setup is the 1800X. First gen ryzen weren't bad but they really lagged behind in gaming performance. But it shouldnt be giving you less perfomrance then what you were getting, turn up the settings and see if that helps to push load on to your GPU.

Solution
Jul 27, 2019

like i said

IF you're going to use driver booster, don't update any drivers accept for the gpu driver. you should always try to update drivers manually. but when you aren't able to do it manually, it wouldn't hurt to let a program do it for you.