I feel that it is all a scam

Steam off

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013
I payed for Rage, the store jerk said I could play it offline! .... what a joke.

I installed it during a recent business trip and took me almost two hours to intall/download..

I am in a rural area with little network access, I played offline three times, fourth it will not let me... It wants me to give network access, well I cant--- there is something really wrong with this.

I really am upset considering suing ID and Steam for 29.99 in small claims court..anyone know how to do this, because i really feel that this is a scam of some sort and I am really pissed...

Azn Cracker

Distinguished
lol the judge will throw your case out the court. $30 claim? lol

Also the fees probably cost more than how much you would get.

If you have problems, contact the company or the store you bought it from. No one likes a sue happy jerk.

They would laugh him out the door.

Steam off

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013

small claims courts are not like that...you can only sue for a maximum( I think 5k in my state) amount and you do not need an attorney to do it..

I am looking for any that may have tried this in the recent past.
the treatment by these (steam) crooks are, well, JUST NOT RIGHT!

Steam off

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013

USAFRet

Titan
Contact Steam and Id. They may, but probably won't, give you a refund.
Small claims court is a non starter for $30.

And why did you listen to the store mouthbreather without doing your own research?

USAFRet

Titan

Filing costs for the claim are more than $30.

Steam is not the culprit here. Where in the documentation or specs for the game does it say it can be played offline forever?
The dude who told you was somewhat misleading, but you did play it offline.

Steam off

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013

In VA, I think it only cost 12.00 to file a SC suit(its called small claims for a reason). I did not see anything on the box about STEAM and I have been burn by those Aholes with another game....

I am not a prolific gamer but I do enjoy gaming once in a while. The store mouther is another matter, it is a start up business(not big box) and I wanted to help our own.

I am serious about this, anyone taken this shoddy treatment to the next level or has all just bent over and taken it!

USAFRet

Titan

What store did you buy it in?

Steam off

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013

USAFRet

Titan

Shills? Spread the cheeks?

You bought a $30 game that is (maybe) unsuitable for your particular environment.

Who told you it would work? Steam, ID, or the kid at the store?
Have you looked for any other solutions? I googled 'rage steam offline' and found the above link. Does it work? No idea. But you might want to look into it.

Taking Steam to SCC for $30(!) is worse than useless.

Steam off

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013

Steam off

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013

Who told you it would work? Steam, ID, or the kid at the store?
ARE YOU SERIOUS, holy sh!t buy something from the store and you expect it to work....It was that way for DECADES/CENTURIES,,,what the hell are you the supervisor SHILL for ID and STEAM?

GOOD LORD, IS THERE anyone with a little COMMON SENSE left

NOTHING IS WORTHLESS unless you are on the GOOBERMINT DOLE....NEED MY FREE SH!T

BTW:
The site U refer to does nothing!, except pot luck...I guess the PC Gamers community is truly dead!

USAFRet

Titan

1. Go to the auto parts store
2. Pick up some random part
3. Ask the dude "will this work work with my Chevy?"
4. He says yes
5. Get home, and find that it is a Ford part, and does not work on your Chevy
6. Be pissed at Ford and the world for a) not doing your own research, and b) listening to the mouth breather behind the counter

Not everything works on everything else.
Sorry that the link I posted does not work for you. I urge you to continue looking around. I'll not do any more research for you.

Steam off

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013

Steam off

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013

Sorry----I really hope I do not know you in person... or ever meet you in the future. The example that you submitted did not say anything, except reboot forever and good luck.. good stuff for mindless people.

YOUR EXAMPLE WITH THE AUTO PARTs?
that is the lamest I have read (not ever read)...I truly hope you have never been that stupid!

USAFRet

Titan

I'm voting for the second half.

Assuming I am a supporter of "O", and assuming I am a "big spender" and owner of the company? That's rich....:)

Steam off

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013

WOW, now I knolw you are a shill or an IDOIT your self...I always wonder how big and IDIOT I am.

USAFRet

Titan

I probably live closer to you than you think.
I'm in VA as well.

@Steamoff

You have every right to feel hostile from all of the criticism however i ask that you remain civil here. You also need to be realistic about your situation and stop acting like a child who had his lunch money stolen by the big bad bully. shit happens.

@Rest

I realize that the OP made quite a few childish remarks however the criticism started with you guys. The OP is most likely just angry and ranting because they were wronged and adding insult to injury doesnt help. Keep it civil.

---

The OP does have a valid point. For some the steam service may be a godsend but for others it feels like a complete rip off.

I've been had by them twice. One game required an internet connection to play a single player offline game and exited if my connection dropped. Try playing that with dialup. The second would not install without downloading 1 gigabyte of data off steam which at the time was impossible. both did not list steam requirements on the box, in the ad or in any review i read.

Even if steam gave me $100 (which evens out the score) i still would harbor a grudge against the company. Even now that i have highspeed where i can use the steam service without issue i find myself not wanting to install the games and deal with it. even if i was never wronged i still think the steam service idea finds much to be desired.

---

As far as what you can do?

You can try and request a refund from steam or the store citing that steam was not listed anywhere on the box. you can get a little pushy on the matter but do keep it civil.

going to small claims court could go both ways. lawyers are expensive and if they have to make an appearance it would be more costly than giving you a refund so they may be willing to deal. however, if they do show up in small claims court they have better lawyers so you can get screwed and pay for it too.

a better option would be to contact their pr (assuming store refund or steam refund was denied) and point them to some negative reviews you made on their company citing how you were wronged. you need to be civil here and professional. if you start trash talking like you did here: good luck with that. more often than not companies are willing to trade a few dollars (the refund) to get rid of any bad press.

personally i just ate it and vowed to never buy games unless i specifically know it doesnt require steam.

good luck. remember, keep it civil and professional!