[SOLVED] I formatted my internal hard drive. Can it be made bootable again?

Dec 20, 2020
Thanks for any help and advice!

I have a Dell XPS 8930. I made a series of mistakes that led to both my internal hard drive and the SSD back up I kept needing to be formatted. I was able to get all my data out of the back up before this happened. Neither is corrupted or damaged.

Right now I'm in the situation where internal hard drive that came with my Dell is formatted and blank. I would like to reinstall Windows on it. I have two USBs, one with Windows 10 made with the Windows Media Creation Tool, and another USB with the Dell OS Recovery Tool. But I guess since the internal hard drive is blank, connecting the internal hard drive to my Dell desktop and then trying to boot from the USB like Microsoft and Dell's guides tell you to do doesn't work. The light on the power button turns on when I press it, but nothing appears on the screen. (The monitor is just fine.)

Is there anything I can do at this point to make the internal hard drive bootable again?

Thanks again for any help and advice! And sorry if I explained this badly.

Solution
If you can't get the start up boot menu to activate with F12, press F2 at boot to enter the bios and make sure USB boot support is enabled and you might also need to set USB as UEFI USB first boot device in the boot priority list. Also, if you can get the F12 boot menu to show, boot to the USB drive as UEFI.

If you cannot get the Dell splash screen to come up when booting the computer, you may have to move your monitor to the motherboard video output from the add-in GPU assuming you have one. Resetting the bios likelye messed with the GPU display output priority to use the motherboard outputs instead or it's part of the Dell bios boot up testing. If this is the case, you may have to reset it to use your GPU instead. I don't actually...
If you can't get the start up boot menu to activate with F12, press F2 at boot to enter the bios and make sure USB boot support is enabled and you might also need to set USB as UEFI USB first boot device in the boot priority list. Also, if you can get the F12 boot menu to show, boot to the USB drive as UEFI.

If you cannot get the Dell splash screen to come up when booting the computer, you may have to move your monitor to the motherboard video output from the add-in GPU assuming you have one. Resetting the bios likelye messed with the GPU display output priority to use the motherboard outputs instead or it's part of the Dell bios boot up testing. If this is the case, you may have to reset it to use your GPU instead. I don't actually know what it would be called, but it might be something like PCIE. You might just need to enter the bios using onbaord gaphics and can then shut down and reconnect the display to the add-in GPU.

Solution