I Gave My Family A Taste Of VR For Christmas

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
I have to agree with the writer in that it is just a matter of time before this takes off and it WILL be mainstream given enough time. All it takes it for people to actually experience it to be completely blown away. I have only had the Samsung VR for a few weeks and every single person I have shown it to has been completely blown away. Some of my friends and girlfriend were asking me question after question about it and as I talked more about it they became excited.

The potential and want is there, it's all going to be about the proper hardware and making sure it works correctly for the average person. At first of course it'll be more enthusiast based, but given awhile when more people have access to it (I especially think the Sony variant will give it enough exposure for VR to really take off) we'll really see it spoken about and I can bet a flood of people will be buying it up.

I am very very excited towards the future with VR, I have been looking forward to VR for years and years when it was science fiction. Look at how technology progresses and any of the people in disbelief at first are almost always proved wrong.

The matter of truth is, most all builds can manage 60FPS perfectly fine, but people have this sort of "fear" that if they turn down graphical settings they are committing a grave sin.

AMD27

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015

What what?

george2015

Reputable
Dec 31, 2015
George and Aunt Catherine here. That was not a paid for Ad, all true! When can we see more VR? We'd love to take a VR trip to India. Have a Happy VR New Year everyone!

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015
To be honest, 3D TVs were pretty cool the first time I saw one of those as well.

I own a very nice 70" Sony 3D 1080p TV, along with multiple 3D movies. I've watched maybe 5 of them, but now I no longer bother.

It was amazing the first time, the novel factor was huge. Then the problems start to show up.

VR will have its place, but there are issues with it that "better tech" won't solve. Eye strain, a close focal distance, weight on the head, and just downright looking silly.

You say it is a "social experience". Sure, when you're bringing a new toy over and everyone tries it the first time, it is. But it won't be the 5th time, or 10th.

Imagine playing Madden on the couch with a friend, but both of you have VR on. That isn't social, you might as well not be in the same room.

3D TVs didn't really give you a whole new experience, just a slightly augmented one. VR is a whole different thing. The novely won't die off as fast as 3D TVs.

All of the concerns that you list are non-issues already. Eye strain is not really an issue that I've heard people complaining about. The focal distance is corrected by the optics. Weight is pretty negligible when strapped on correctly. And trust me, you don't give a damn what you look like to others when you have it on.

The social part may be just a first time thing, but there are games being made for having one person in VR and others not. PSVR is set up with games this way and you can get "I expect you to die" on Gear and Rift DK2.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015
A great story .. How much did SAMSUNG pay for the Ad ? Joking :)

I am thinking to buy the Gear VR this month..does it work with Galaxy Note 5 ?

It does look like an ad ( guerrilla type ad to be more precise ), but its nothing new on toms ... since the major overhaul it had some years back.

I most certainly was not paid by Samsung to write this.
In fact, Samsung didn't even provide the Gear VR. Tom's Hardware bought it for a review.

AMD27

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015

How do you know they had to buy it from Samsung? Are you one of their staff?

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

I don't know what you're talking about, is what. Guerilla ads? What overhaul? When? What do you think happened, exactly?

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

...he wrote the article...of course he knows where the sample is from...

AMD27

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015

I did not say Guerilla ads or overhaul, check who wrote that :)

AMD27

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015

True but, if this article was sponsored, then he will not tell us about it of course. So you never know if he really bought it or got it for free!

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

Oh, LOL, sorry--just replied to the "what what." :p

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

I don't know why anyone ever thinks companies have any input whatsoever in what we do on the editorial side. They don't. Ever. I get so tired of explaining that over and over again. (Although the folks that tend to suggest that are typically new forum members. Such as yourself.) On that note, welcome to TH, don't worry, we do journalism here, no pay for play. :)

AMD27

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015

I am not worried about it my friend, it was just a normal question/discussion :)

Status
Not open for further replies.