I Get struck by electricity when touching the case, and high voltage in USB ports

Mouse1337

Prominent
Jul 24, 2017
Hello , i built a new pc , with a brand new 450W PSU, only the HDD is used.
I have experienced a problem, when i touch the pc case i get hit by electricity , and have high voltage on my USB PORTS , i am currently using both PS2 mouse and keyboard, they always double click - press when i use USB
ttthhisss iiss howww tthheee kkkeyybooaardd woworkk

any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Does the pc run ok? If its does I would suspect you have a grounding problem with that wall socket or your mains wiring, do you get the same problem if you plug the pc in another socket?

I would hope a PSU that was shorting out to ground would not even switch on but maybe if its a low quality minimum safety feature unit it might.

Can you take the pc to a friends house and see if you still get the same problem? If you do then its most likely a faulty PSU which should be changed immediately, if you don't the you most likely have a grounding issue with your home wiring and you should call an electrician ASAP.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I don't think AMD even makes power supplies?

Do you often experience static shocks at home? My last apartment was terrible for static, I would get shocks touching anything metal, PC included. To protect my computer I'd always touch something grounded (e.g. a screw on my light switch fixture) before touching my PC. I've since moved (and humidity is higher because it's summer), and I no longer have a problem with shocks when I touch my PC.

What makes you think your USB voltage is high?

Does the pc run ok? If its does I would suspect you have a grounding problem with that wall socket or your mains wiring, do you get the same problem if you plug the pc in another socket?

I would hope a PSU that was shorting out to ground would not even switch on but maybe if its a low quality minimum safety feature unit it might.

Can you take the pc to a friends house and see if you still get the same problem? If you do then its most likely a faulty PSU which should be changed immediately, if you don't the you most likely have a grounding issue with your home wiring and you should call an electrician ASAP.

Solution