I get the american megatrends "cpu fan error, press f1 for setup" even though I have a liquid cooler

First grader

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015
So I just replaced the default cpu fan in my pc for a corsair h80i gt water cooler, and now if I open up my computer it says cpu fan error, press f1 for setup. F1 obviously takes me to the bios. I currently can't run any actual temperature tests to see if the h80i gt is working or not because my monitor's power cable broke. *sigh*
So while I'm waiting for a new cable, I'm asking you guys what could be wrong if the cooler actually isn't working. I thought about it to myself, and one thing I thought of was that either my pump was plugged in incorrectly, or then my motherboard doesn't realise that a cooler is plugged in bc it's a 3-pin instead of a 4-pin wich most cpu fans use. Another issue could be that the pump itself is just broken. The lights on the h80i gt light up and the fans spin though. If it's broken, I'll just send it back to corsair. What are your thoughts while I wait for the cable? I don't want to fiddle with anything until I can run some tests and see if American megatrends is just bullshitting me or is there actually something wrong. If you're wondering how I got to read the error messages, this was like half an hour before the cable broke. I also had a little time to look around in the bios, and it says that the cpu was 32 celcius while idle. I've got to see that with a game running though. B4 I got the water cooler, it was running around 38-40 celsius while idle. It could be the pump working or it could be the fans on the cooler's radiator working. No idea. If you can help, please do. If need more info, I'll do my best to provide it.

First grader

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015

Yeah, that's what I thought. Thank you, I hope I can run a temp check soon

First grader

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015

Asus p8p67 rev 3.1. I plugged in the h80i to the 3-pin header to the right of the 4-pin that my intel cpu fan was plugged in. (I think there was one empty 4-pin in between, don't quote me on that)

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
from the diagram on page 2.2 of user manual the pump goes to the cpu fan header top of cpu and the fan goes to the cha fan 1header on the back left of cpu that leave you with 2 more fan header for the case one one top as power fan and one bottom as cha fan 2 . that how it should be set .

First grader

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015

What fan? You mean the h80i gt fan? That plugs into a cord coming from the pump. And where exactly is "back" left of the cpu?

conticreative

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
I am having the exact same issue with the exact same Corsair Liquid Cooling model. I'd like to know what I can do to bypass the alert.

In my case I have 2 additional issues with the job, aside from the "CPU Fan Error":

1) The corsair asks me to plug a USB cable to my motherboard (Asus P6X58D-E) but I am fresh out of USB2 and USB3 plugs. I was planning to disconnect the front USB/card reader unit since I don't really use it that much and plug in the cooling unit in its place. Problem is that I would need to trace the other USB hub which I actually use. I may do trial and error to find the right one. They are indistinguishable and short of taking the whole thing apart is impossible to trace the right one.

2) The other problem (I don't even know if it is a problem) is that I mounted the "pump" on the CPU 90 degrees off. Rookie mistake. But I was tired, frustrated at the cryptic instruction, etc. However, since people mount their computers upside down, horizontal. etc. I don't think it's a big deal. Of course, I can remove it, scrape the paste and apply it again and mount it properly. I'd rather not.

For the record, after about 1 hour my CPU (i7 970) temps are around 27 C. to 45 C. which is the same as I had with my older cooling unit (I have 12 cores, 6x2)

Should I start my own thread? This one came up immediately when I typed the error and it may be useful to other people in the future.

Just in case my signature is out of date, these are my latest specs.

Processor : Intel Core i7 970 3200MHz - (OC to: 3502.34MHz) - 6 Cores (12 virtual)
MOBO Name: Asus P6X58D-E
CPU Type: HexaCore Intel Core i7, 3333 MHz (25 x 133)
RAM: 12279 MB (DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (4095 MB)
Audio Adapter: Realtek ALC889 @ High Definition Audio Controller [10DE-0FBB] [NoDB]
Disk Drive 1 Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (465 GB)
Disk Drive 2 Seagate Barracuda ST32000542AS (1863 GB)
Disk Drive 3 Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001-9YN164 (1863 GB)
Disk Drive 4 HGST HMS5C4040ALE640 (3726 GB)
Optical Drive Optiarc DVD RW AD-7260S ATA Device

First grader

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015

For the cpu fan error, just make sure it's plugged into the CPU-FAN header and not PWR-FAN. As for your other problems, I'm sorry but I can't help you.

conticreative

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010

Thank you, I'll make sure of that. Incidentally, I changed my BIOS CPU fan from n/a to the only other option (something like "ignore" or similar) and it no longer gives me the F1 alert.