Question I goofed up when taking CPU out and putting it back ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
D

Deleted member 2947362

The more you get into PC's you learn to keep some stuff back for times like these , like spare gfx card/s, PSU/s, Ram etc

It's always handy to have some known working parts in store for testing purposes and time like these.

D

Deleted member 2947362

Unfortunately, I just moved over from AM3+ and DDR3 to AM4 and DDR4. But yeah, you're right.
Are you using the parts like case and PSU drives etc from the AM3 Build?

Because if the PSU is rock'n on a bit it just might not be up to the job anymore but without the spare parts to test with, it's easy to say but not much help your end.

Jun 7, 2023
I bought this build used, including a Corsair CV550. I have a CV650 that I intended to move over to this build, but since I had trouble booting and whatnot, I left that to be dealt with later. I am in the process of trying to plug in my old CV650 to the system and see if it makes any difference.

D

Deleted member 2947362

Anyway I am sorry I can't help you any further

But don't let the issue get you wound up or feel down, I'm sure once you have this resolved you'll be very happy with your upgrade coming from AM3 trust me.

D

Deleted member 2947362

I bought this build used, including a Corsair CV550. I have a CV650 that I intended to move over to this build, but since I had trouble booting and whatnot, I left that to be dealt with later. I am in the process of trying to plug in my old CV650 to the system and see if it makes any difference.
you know what to try now then .. the PSU if you got a spare one then test it out.

D

Deleted member 2947362

The thing is you have to think about is, really the only thing you done was remove the CPU then you replaced the CPU

The only thing you shouldn't of done was turn the PC on without the heat sink being fully fitted before hand.

yes, yes I know people have done it and it's been ok but never the less that's not how it's supposed to be done and you have most certainly Void the warranty if the CPU is damaged ... I guess that means don't tell them that lol

even so you only really removed the CPU replaced and repasted that should not be causing you the issue you have been facing since.

something else must of happened in between then, you cant really fit a cpu with the pins on the CPU wrongly without first having to force the cpu in the socket and then you would know well before putting the heat sink on something is wrong.

So I highly doubt it was while you where refitting the CPU.

Maybe turning on the system without the heat sink did damaged the CPU?

But if it was only for a few seconds then that is highly doubtful BUT it is a possibility.

Last edited by a moderator:

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
The thing is you have to think about is, really the only thing you done was remove the CPU then you replaced the CPU

The only thing you shouldn't of done was turn the PC on without the heat sink being fully fitted before hand.

yes, yes I know people have done it and it's been ok but never the less that's not how it's supposed to be done.

even so you only really removed the CPU replaced and repasted that should not be causing you the issue you have been facing since.

something else must of happened in between then, you cant really fit a cpu with the pins on the CPU wrongly without first having to force the cpu in the socket and then you would know well before putting the heat sink on something is wrong.

So I highly doubt it was while you where refitting the CPU.

Maybe turning on the system without the heat sink did damaged the CPU?

But if it was only for a few seconds then that is highly doubtful.
You're forgetting something. It goes by 3 letters: ESD.

Unless he grounded himself to earth ground during the procedure, he more than likely fried his CPU removing it.

Jun 7, 2023
Sorry about your lunch. I seems like I plugged in the power up button to the wrong pin, and that's the reason it did not start before. I switched out the PSUs, but unfortunately still no signal. I also tried putting in an old GPU I had lying around. This did not change anything either.

And I'm sorry about your lunch.

Anyway, is there no reasonable way to check whether the CPU or the motherboard is malfunctioning? Like some multimeter shenanigans... I don't know.

Once again, I appreciate you aiding me as far as you're able to. I feel like I'm at my wits' end at this point; I don't know how to proceed from here. Is some new AM4/DDR4 components my only hope to troubleshoot this?
Is there any chance that there are dust particles or anything like that on my CPU pins, causing this issue?

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
Is there any handy way to check whether a CPU is fried as a result of ESD damage, using a multimeter or some other tool?
Nope. The only cost-effective way to tell is to replace the item and see if it works.

There is another way, but it involves thousands of dollars in test equipment from this company plus you need a good working replacement CPU to compare with it. You are way better off just buying the replacement CPU and swapping instead.

Jun 7, 2023
Nope. The only cost-effective way to tell is to replace the item and see if it works.

There is another way, but it involves thousands of dollars in test equipment from this company plus you need a good working replacement CPU to compare with it. You are way better off just buying the replacement CPU and swapping instead.
Suppose the motherboard has also been damaged as a result of me messing around with the components. If I get a new, working CPU, is it likely that a malfunctioning motherboard would fry the new CPU as well?

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
Suppose the motherboard has also been damaged as a result of me messing around with the components. If I get a new, working CPU, is it likely that a malfunctioning motherboard would fry the new CPU as well?
Another question for you: did you use a wrist strap connected to some kind of earth ground when removing and replacing the CPU?

Jun 7, 2023
No. I was under the impression that the consensus was that damage as a result of ESD was very unlikely when installing computer parts. Perhaps I was mistaken in that belief. But yeah, I guess I messed up.

Does this information strengthen your belief that the issue is with my CPU, and that the motherboard is probably still in working order?

You're forgetting something. It goes by 3 letters: ESD.

Unless he grounded himself to earth ground during the procedure, he more than likely fried his CPU removing it.
Is there any handy way to check whether a CPU is fried as a result of ESD damage, using a multimeter or some other tool?
Modern PCBs are so overengineered to fight against ESD and shorts the likelihood of this happening to him are exceedingly low. I have never had a part die from ESD in all my years as a professional or as an enthusiast. Here is an electrical engineer and a hardware enthusiast trying to break stuff with ESD in vain.

No. I was under the impression that the consensus was that damage as a result of ESD was very unlikely when installing computer parts. Perhaps I was mistaken in that belief. But yeah, I guess I messed up.

Does this information strengthen your belief that the issue is with my CPU, and that the motherboard is probably still in working order?
In my opinion you should provide pictures of your RAM slots, and the finger pads of your RAM sticks. We can see if there is any damage and maybe what's going on with the difficulty installing the RAM back in properly.

Reactions: Richj444
Jun 7, 2023
Modern PCBs are so overengineered to fight against ESD and shorts the likelihood of this happening to him are exceedingly low. I have never had a part die from ESD in all my years as a professional or as an enthusiast. Here is an electrical engineer and a hardware enthusiast trying to break stuff with ESD in vain.
Based on what has been written in this thread so far, what is your guess for what might have gone wrong?

Jun 7, 2023
In my opinion you should provide pictures of your RAM slots, and the finger pads of your RAM sticks. We can see if there is any damage and maybe what's going on with the difficulty installing the RAM back in properly.
I was able to slot them properly. It just required more force than I anticipated.

I was able to slot them properly. It just required more force than I anticipated.
Okay thats a start, and you are sure they are fully seated? Not cockeyed? If so its like wat @Plumet said in the beggining:
it's the good o'l case of process of elimination
I have personally been leaning towards user error of some sort, however, your RAM is installed properly, your CPU pins are not bent, your socket is in good shape, and you tried a different PSU. So the CV550 was the original PSU and the CV650 was a spare you had around? Are you sure that the CV650 worked fine recently? Is the CV550 new? In either case neither PSU is a good one, the CV line is made for very basic PCs that just browse the web. I would try and make sure that the CPU EPS cables at the top left of the board are slotted in all the way and same for the 20+4 motherboard cable. Make sure that the cables from the PSU are also fully plugged in, though I do not believe the CV line is fully or semi modular.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2023
Also, why
No, as Plumet said, its most likely the ram it might have got damaged.
Why would the RAM get damaged without touching them? The symptoms have remained the same since I just took out the CPU, cleaned it, and put it back.

Here are my RAM sticks, by the way: View: https://imgur.com/a/zpgspwl

Okay thats a start, and you are sure they are fully seated? Not cockeyed? If so its like wat @Plumet said in the beggining:

I have personally been leaning towards user error of some sort, however, your RAM is installed properly, your CPU pins are not bent, your socket is in good shape, and you tried a different PSU. So the CV550 was the original PSU and the CV650 was a spare you had around? Are you sure that the CV650 worked fine recently? Is the CV550 new? In either case neither PSU is a good one, the CV line is made for very basic PC that just browse the web. I would try and make sure that the CPU EPS cables at the top left of the board are slotted in all the way and same for the 20+4 motherboard cable. Make sure that the cables from the PSU are also fully plugged in, though I do not believe the CV line is fully or semi modular.
Yeah, I agree it's not a great PSU. But it should do in terms of wattage, and unlike the CV550 it is DC-DC. Wouldn't have bought it for this build if I did not already have it.

A big thanks to everyone here who has so kindly tried to help me resolve this issue.