[SOLVED] I got back more free space than the files I deleted ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
Hi, so this happened in my backup pc. Using it right now.

specs are in my sig., but copy pasting it here anyway. As I might change sig someday.

GPU: MSI GTX 1050ti,
CPU: i7-2600k,
ram: 32 GB ddr3,
PSU: Seasonic GC 550 80+ Gold,
SSD: 480 GB Patriot

story time = this past week. I booted up the pc to see that the free space of the SSD is 98 GB. Then gamed with online friends a bit on the next days to check if everything is fine. Recorded our games with Geforce Experience, until the free space is down to about 79 GB. At that point, I stopped recording and transferred most of the recorded files to USB by copying files, then deleted the files on the SSD. The free space is now back to about 95 GB. Well, nothing out of the ordinary. --- however, 2 or 3 days later, I was very surprised to see that the free space has enlarged to 128 GB. Well, glad to have more free space.. but what could have caused this? Is this a bad thing? The Patriot Burst SSD is approximately 3 years old, and was purchased sealed and brand new.

everything feels fine. No slowdown in games, no windows error messages.

Last edited:
Hi, so this happened in my backup pc. Using it right now.

specs are in my sig., but copy pasting it here anyway. As I might change sig someday.

GPU: MSI GTX 1050ti,
CPU: i7-2600k,
ram: 32 GB ddr3,
PSU: Seasonic GC 550 80+ Gold,
SSD: 480 GB Patriot

story time = this past week. I booted up the pc to see that the free space of the SSD is 98 GB. Then gamed with online friends a bit on the next days to check if everything is fine. Recorded our games with Geforce Experience, until the free space is down to about 79 GB. At that point, I stopped recording and transferred most of the recorded files to USB by copying files, then deleted the files on the SSD. The free space is now back to about 95 GB. Well, nothing out of the ordinary. --- however, 2 or 3 days later, I was very surprised to see that the free space has enlarged to 128 GB. Well, glad to have more free space.. but what could have caused this? Is this a bad thing? The Patriot Burst SSD is approximately 3 years old, and was purchased sealed and brand new.

everything feels fine. No slowdown in games, no windows error messages.
Did you empty Recycle Bin too ?

Reactions: Tac 25 and punkncat
This is just kind of how WindowsUpdate works. It downloads large files and installs them. Then 10 days later it automatically deletes the backup that allows you to revert to the previous setup, so recovers a huge amount of space.

You only tend to notice this when free space starts to get tight.

Reactions: Tac 25

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
@CountMike

yeah, I emptied recycle bin which reverted it to 95 GB free space. So it's a mystery how the free space has grown to 128 gb afterwards.

@BFG-9000

yeah, Windows update is one possibility.

@Eximo

agreed. Geforce Experience reserving space is another likely possibility as well. Since it's the program I used the most in the past several days.

anyway, I'm just glad whatever program reserved the free space.. it decided to give it back.

Last edited:

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
just a little update on the thread. Have been recording some Star Rail game sessions the past days with Geforce Experience. Transferring files to usb flash drive once I have 10 or 15 GB recorded game files. Then delete the files on the SSD. Looks like things are back to normal, what I delete is now the amount of space I get back. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.