I have 10 gig network setup but i get 90 mbps transfer speed. Need Help.

lalitkhachane

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017
Hello,

I am trying to get 1000 mbps or anything higher than 100 mbps transfer speed.

I have a gigabit port on my computer's motherboard (MSI X370 Gaming Pro). And i have a unRaid storage server which has 2X 10gig ports. I have Asus XG-U2008 network switch which also has 2X 10gig ports and 8X 1gig ports. I am currently running two cat6A cables from two 10 gig ports of server to two 10 gig ports of network switch. And running one cat6A cable from switch's 1 gig port to my computers 1 gig port.

I have tried setting the Speed & Duplex to 1.0 gbps Full Duplex but transfer dose not go above 90 mbps. I don't know what i am doing wrong.

I do a lots of editing on my computer and my file sizes are huge. Some times i need to render image sequences and that make's gigantic file sizes. With 90 mbps transfer speed it takes too long to copy data.

I don't have a deep knowledge of Networking but i know enough to run this setup I mentioned above. But i need to get higher speed because that was the whole purpose that I build this 10 gig setup.

Can anyone please tell me what am i doing wrong.
Please help.

Solution
Your best option if you really want to exceed the 1gbit/sec your pc is limiting to is spending the money on the 10g card. Trying to bond 2 1gbit ports will not increase your performance because the standard link aggregation method was designed to increase the speed of multiple parrel sessions not 1 file transfer. There are some proprietary port bonding methods but all require direct cabling between 2 devices since almost all switches only support the industry standard link aggregation method.

Before you get too far into this project you need to dig through the numbers. Although it appears the gigabit port is your bottleneck you will soon find that the disk systems both in your pc and the disk array will bottleneck you well before...

bradsctt

Distinguished
Are you getting 90 MB/s or 90 Mbps?

If its 90MB/s, 125MB/s is the absolute maximum you can get over a 1 Gbps connection (1000 / 8 = 125).

If you want 10 Gbps you'll have to buy a 10Gb Ethernet card for your PC, as the 1 Gbit port is the bottleneck here.

Full Duplex allows full Gbit in each direction concurrently, it doesn't actually make it go any faster.

kanewolf

Titan
First take one of the 10GE cables off. Unless you configured both the switch and server for link aggregation you are hurting your performance with two connections. Even then you would have to have 11 simultaneous 1GE clients to benefit from link aggregation.

lalitkhachane

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017

Thanks for your reply. And yes i am getting 90 MB/s.
I should have researched well before i buy these stuff. I'll need a 10Gb Ethernet card which is too expensive.

Can i get 2 port gigabite ethernet card, will that help?

kanewolf

Titan
Enable Jumbo frames on all your devices. That will cut the overhead to about 20% of standard frame size. I will say again to remove one of the 10GE links between your storage server and switch. The second link does not benefit you. It can only hurt your network.

lalitkhachane

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017

I will try that. Thanks.

Your best option if you really want to exceed the 1gbit/sec your pc is limiting to is spending the money on the 10g card. Trying to bond 2 1gbit ports will not increase your performance because the standard link aggregation method was designed to increase the speed of multiple parrel sessions not 1 file transfer. There are some proprietary port bonding methods but all require direct cabling between 2 devices since almost all switches only support the industry standard link aggregation method.

Before you get too far into this project you need to dig through the numbers. Although it appears the gigabit port is your bottleneck you will soon find that the disk systems both in your pc and the disk array will bottleneck you well before you get anywhere near 10gbit. This tends to be why high end storage companies and server manufactures can get away with charging so much for their equipment. No company is going to pay 100s of thousands of dollars for systems if a $500 system can run just as fast

Solution

lalitkhachane

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017
Thank you very much guys for all your replies. It was really educating. I will have do some numbering before i go any further with this projects that's for sure.

Thanks again.