Question I have 10 hard drives, all new, all dead, what am I missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 16, 2021
I have 10 drives total, 2 HDD 8 SSD, 7 are from Amazon, 3 are from BestBuy; theyre all brand new and I had put 1 in my old build, 2 in a build I am making for a friend, and the other 7 in my new build.
Now I bought 4 of them in 2019, 2 in 2020, and the rest I bought literally 2 weeks ago.
Was there some sort of DOA epidemic or have I completely missed something?

Sep 16, 2021
Ah sorry;
I7-9700f
Z390 Gigabyte Pro
MSI Gtx 1080 Armor
1200w Phanteks Revolt X
As well as all Soft tube liquid cooling.
Computer will not turn on at all when hard drives are in, as well as none of the drives work in any other system, all 2 HDDs and 8 SSDs are dead and I have no clue if I did something or if I just have the worst luck in the world.

At any time, did someone test them in a rig with a new PSU, but, perhaps without swapping associated modular cables that came with the PSU? (That will kill a drive or SSD really 'lickety split'!)

This assumes of course, you are using good SATA data and power cables, but, if a rig will 'not even power on' (not to be confused with 'powers on but ill not boot'!) with a drive connected, that screams... ' shorted'!

Sep 16, 2021
I had tested them with the new psu with custom cables first but when nothing happened I used the stock cables.
At one point my m.2 was also dead but a replacement of it fixed everything.
If they're out I can get the pc to turn on and even go to the login screen, but the minute any of the drives are connected to any sata port it no longer works.

Sep 16, 2021
Im gonna marked this as solved, someone just came over and showed me the issue and its now fixed, 4 of them are still doa even from the caddy but pc turns on with the rest now

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS