I have 16GB RAM installed, only 8GB usable?

Dunjundweller

Prominent
May 30, 2017
Hi everyone.
I recently upgraded my RAM to play games more smoothly. Problem is, half of my RAM isn't usable! Here are some specs.

Motherboard: Msi 970-AG45
CPU: AMD FX 6100 6 core processor
Graphic Card: Geforce GTS 450

I have 4 total sticks of 4gb, and I made sure that the same brands are in the correct colored slots. Under the system it says my installed memory RAM is 16GB (8GB usable). I have already attempted unchecking the maximum memory under boot advanced options, but it didn't work. Any other ideas?

EDIT: I just found out the sticks I ordered are a different voltage. I ordered two Crucial sticks at 1.35V, and my two old Patriots run at 1.65V. Should I find a matching set of voltages or is there a way to still make it work?

Solution
Your motherboard supports 32GB's with a max of 8GB per DIMM so get a 2x8GB kit of the same type. That would make 24GB's and all you will want to uppgrade that board.

Dunjundweller

Prominent
May 30, 2017

I gave it a shot, and while my drivers were old, it still hasn't fixed my problem. I also checked each stick individually to make sure none of them were faulty, but they all work. Bios is acknowledging that my installed RAM is 16GB, but my computer just keeps putting anything above 8GB into the reserve.... Do you think it would have anything to do with my bios settings?

Anything is possible but first try memory remapping in bios. Check BIOS settings for whether the memory remapping feature is enabled. It may give Windows access to more memory. It can be listed as memory remapping, memory extension, or something like those.
Adjust AGP video aperture size in the BIOS and test. Its possible the memory it was using was locked by the video card.

You could try just the new RAM to make sure it works with the CPU. Try the lower voltage RAM in bank 0 moving the older RAM to bank 1. IE memory arrangement adjustment.

Dunjundweller

Prominent
May 30, 2017
It doesn't look like I have the options to adjust the AGP aperture in my BIOS. There also isn't anything that mentions memory remapping. I have lots of other options, but nothing particularly useful. I feel at a loss here, wondering if maybe I should just get a refund for the sticks I bought.

EDIT: If I do just trade in my Crucial RAM sticks, I'll need sticks that work with my Patriot ones. Here's a picture of one of my old one if it helps. http://imgur.com/Z60f2vd

And here's a picture of one of the new Crucials I just got in the mail. I definitely am noticing that getting two different kinds of RAM may have been a mistake.
http://imgur.com/mWjMLry

Dunjundweller

Prominent
May 30, 2017

Alright. I just tested it and I don't have any issues with the individual RAM installed. It seems that no matter what I do, the different brands just don't want to work together. Looks like I'm gonna be contacting Newegg for a return tomorrow morning. Thanks for the help. Would you recommend I try and find another 4x2gb kit to add on next to my old Patriots, or should I just get a new 2x8gb kit?