I have 16GB RAM, Only half being used.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bill Ellson

Reputable
Jul 1, 2014
Hi all. I built and have been running this system without an issue for about a year. Recently, I've noticed that when I open task manager, and look at my resources, Windows is only showing a maximum of 8GB of RAM. I have 16GB (4x4GB)of Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz installed.

On my last thread, Pinhedd suggested that I test all four DIMMs individually in the first slot, which I did, and all booted fine. He also suggested picking one of the DIMMs and testing it in each slot. All booted fine. I put all four DIMMs back in, and I still have 8GB in Windows. What is really weird is that my BIOS now show that I have 8GB installed, Windows shows that I have 8GB installed, but CPU-Z shows that I have 16GB installed. I'm not sure what's going on.

All four of my DIMMs are good. All four of my slots are good. What's the problem here, and why is it happening?!

Solution
I gather that both are out of warranty.
Have you got an acquaintance that has 4x4 DDR3 for you to try? or even 4x2GB just to make sure.
Apparently there was a bios update for your board for better memory compatibility.
I would start by trying to get bios updated. Maybe unplug everything and leave 1 module and then try to update.

kajjot

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
I gather that both are out of warranty.
Have you got an acquaintance that has 4x4 DDR3 for you to try? or even 4x2GB just to make sure.
Apparently there was a bios update for your board for better memory compatibility.
I would start by trying to get bios updated. Maybe unplug everything and leave 1 module and then try to update.

Solution

Bill Ellson

Reputable
Jul 1, 2014
I'd get a screenshot if I could. Whenever I try to update the BIOS it says there's an error of some sort, and it's restarting. I get like a half second visual before it goes away. I've tried earlier versions of it, still errors.

Stephen Rebelo

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
What was the result? I am in the same situation. Windows 7 Home Premium, Bios recognizes 16, windows says 16 (8GB usable) max mem is not checked. 8GB is Hardware Reserved even though I don't have any integrated graphics..

Bill Ellson

Reputable
Jul 1, 2014

Just got on here and realized you asked for an update. Well, 8 months later. A few weeks ago I ended up reinstalling windows, and went into system properties and had 16GB. Fresh install worked.