[SOLVED] i have 3 fans with 3 pins connector,i bought a splitter that is 4 pins will it work?

Solution
i understand that,but my fans are 3 pins

i seems that with 2 of the fans i will only be able to connect 2 pins as they are far apart

It will only connect with 2 of the 3, yes.
Sorry if I'm not spelling this out clearly enough.

The 4th pin (fan or MB) is PWM - so with 3pin fans, so that component is irrelevant.
You'll connect one 3pin fan to the splitter header with 4pins ( one will be unused, PWM) - Consider this the "primary" fan. It'll connect via the 3 available and have full support for everything a 3 pin fan has (Ground, 12V and Fan Tachometer)

Then, you'll connect subsequent fans to the 3pin headers (of which you'll use two - Ground and 12V. The voltage required to run the fan at the same speed will be provided (via...
Jun 30, 2020

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Did you check the link? it seems that two of the connectors are 3 pins and one of them is 4 pins
i dont know if the 3 pins will fit because is seems to be like this (PIN SPACE BETWEEN PIN PIN) but my fan`s connectors are all close to each other

here's the photo: https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/U01457a942762451683bdea5275010f3cl.jpg
Yes it still works on 4 pin splitters they leave off the wire that reads fan RPM on one fan so the board doesn't get mixed signals but they still work fine with 3 pin fans.

Reactions: Misheru

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Oh, I see what you mean.

The missing pin is normal - you cannot independently control the fans along the splitter.

So, with a 4pin header on the board and 4pins connected for one of your fans, the PWM requirements are determined by that one fan connected to the 4pin end of the splitter - the others will follow suit.

Reactions: Misheru
Jun 30, 2020
Oh, I see what you mean.

The missing pin is normal - you cannot independently control the fans along the splitter.

So, with a 4pin header on the board and 4pins connected for one of your fans, the PWM requirements are determined by that one fan connected to the 4pin end of the splitter - the others will follow suit.

i seems that with 2 of the fans i will only be able to connect 2 pins as they are far apart on the splitter as the image has shown

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

i seems that with 2 of the fans i will only be able to connect 2 pins as they are far apart

The 4th pin (fan or MB) is PWM - so with 3pin fans, so that component is irrelevant.
You'll connect one 3pin fan to the splitter header with 4pins ( one will be unused, PWM) - Consider this the "primary" fan. It'll connect via the 3 available and have full support for everything a 3 pin fan has (Ground, 12V and Fan Tachometer)

Then, you'll connect subsequent fans to the 3pin headers (of which you'll use two - Ground and 12V. The voltage required to run the fan at the same speed will be provided (via the 12V), as determined by the "primary" fan.

Reactions: grimfox and Misheru
Solution
Jun 30, 2020

Then, you'll connect subsequent fans to the 3pin headers (of which you'll use two - Ground and 12V. The voltage required to run the fan at the same speed will be provided (via the 12V), as determined by the "primary" fan.

Thank you for taking your time and explaining
so ill have 3 fans
one connected to 3 pins out of 4
and two fans connected to 2 pins out of 3