[SOLVED] I have a bottleneck

Gruesomepc

Commendable
Mar 3, 2020
I have a 9700k and it bottlenecks my 6900xt in some titles I have enough money to upgrade my cpu to a 9900k but Im afraid it wont fix my bottleneck in games like csgo.
<mod edit> So basically I want to find out if I should upgrade to the 9900k or wait till I can upgrade to something newer ?

Solution
Hey there,

No, it won't fix your issue. There's hardly any improvement with the 9900k other than extra cores/threads. Otherwise the difference in gaming is about 3-5% and that means just a few FPS. Ideally you'd want to go at least 2 tiers higher than your 9th Gen to have any meaningful CPU upgrade.

List the rest of your PC specs, including mobo, and we can better advise.
Hey there,

No, it won't fix your issue. There's hardly any improvement with the 9900k other than extra cores/threads. Otherwise the difference in gaming is about 3-5% and that means just a few FPS. Ideally you'd want to go at least 2 tiers higher than your 9th Gen to have any meaningful CPU upgrade.

List the rest of your PC specs, including mobo, and we can better advise.

Solution
What resolution do you use?

CS GO is nearly always limited by the cpu and not the gpu, it’s not demanding on the gpu. It also only uses 4 threads/cores so going to a cpu of the same generation just with more threads won’t help this game at all. Basically the 6900xt is overkill for a game like cs go which will run on potato.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Gruesomepc

Commendable
Mar 3, 2020
I found this issue I was using radeon chill which lowers fps on less demanding loads and it was making a huge variance in my csgo fps which I thought was bottleneck thanks for the responses though.

Waiting for the omnipresent '400 fps in CS:GO is not enough, I need 550 fps to be competitive!'-crowd!

:)

(How did I ever play Quake 1 at 21.7 fps on a Voodoo1 through much of 1997?)

My recommendation: try to 'live with' the 'pathetic' and 'only 400 fps' at 1080P....; the 9700K is still plenty fast, and faster than all 3800X and below Ryzen models...

Then, come April, see if the next gen 3D-Cache Ryzens are able to catch up to or defeat the 12600K and 12700K. With any luck, maybe existing 12700K or Ryzen 9-5900X models will cost less

Last edited: