I have a good cable router with 4 ethernet hub outflows. The problem is I want to use it where the Internet source it via RJ45

teren1956

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
I have a good cable router with 4 ethernet hub outflows that I want to use to connect 4 computers in my classroom. The problem is I want to use it where the Internet source is via RJ45. Thus I need to plug and RJ45 into the cable box, but there is only a coax input. Is there some kind of adapter/converter I can use?

Solution
OK let me attempt to decipher your less than precise request.

If you "Internet source" is an RJ45 jack, it means, most likely, is your ethernet LAN, as such, all you need to DISTRIBUTE to 4 more clients is a box called a SWITCH, NOT a cable router. If your ISP is CABLE, I bet, it seems there is ALREADY a cable router UPSTREAM, you cannot add a second cable router.

If my assumption is correct, buy an 8-port SWITCH.

If you want to go el-cheapo, and don't really need more than 3 clients, then you can simply disable the WAN port (coax side) on that cable router, and use the LAN ports only, hookup "Internet Source" to one port (any) and use the remaining 3 for your clients.

If your ISP is DSL, this could be a whole different ball of...
You need a cable modem - a device which "converts" the coax cable coming from your ISP / cable company into Ethernet. Check with your ISP about compatible models, and try not to be persuaded to lease one from them.

But if you ask this question - how do you get your internet service now, if the only thing you have is coax cable?

OK let me attempt to decipher your less than precise request.

If you "Internet source" is an RJ45 jack, it means, most likely, is your ethernet LAN, as such, all you need to DISTRIBUTE to 4 more clients is a box called a SWITCH, NOT a cable router. If your ISP is CABLE, I bet, it seems there is ALREADY a cable router UPSTREAM, you cannot add a second cable router.

If my assumption is correct, buy an 8-port SWITCH.

If you want to go el-cheapo, and don't really need more than 3 clients, then you can simply disable the WAN port (coax side) on that cable router, and use the LAN ports only, hookup "Internet Source" to one port (any) and use the remaining 3 for your clients.

If your ISP is DSL, this could be a whole different ball of wax. Be clear what your "Internet Source" is. Define clearly please.

Solution