[SOLVED] I have a Google Chrome process that is starting with Windows and has very high Porwer Usage.

hudtwalcker

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019
I've noticed my fans starting on high and my temps climbing to 60+ after startup, before I even open anything, and I've noticed in the task manager a lonely Google Chrome process that starts on it's own and has very high power usage, I don't have Chrome as a startup process, and as soon as I kill it, everything goes back to normal, I've also noticed that it appears sometimes when I actually use Google Chrome, and if I kill it, nothing happens to chrome, if I right click on the process/open file location, it takes me to the Chrome folder and the Chrome.exe file, I've also already tried disabling all extensions, but this process starts even before I have Chrome open, and yes I already removed the Chrome option for processes to continue running in the background if Chrome is closed, I am totally stumped, any help would be appreciated.

Solution
with both Chrome & Firefox there will be a single app running in Task Manager.
shouldn't be any 'lonely process' or related background processes at all while in basic use.

so you're either using a hacked/cracked OS that came like this or you have an infestation.
the fact that your malware scans do not turn up anything would lead me more towards using a dirty OS.

if you have a legit registered serial or tied account just perform a fresh install of Windows and avoid wherever you've been downloading from or whatever you've been clicking on that has lead to this issue.

Ralston18

Titan
What "lonely Google Chrome process"?

Take a screenshot and post here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

And you can look in Task Manager > Startup for apps, utilities, etc. that you do not recognize or expect.

Also look in Task Scheduler: there may be some trigger in place related to Chrome or perhaps something else that causes the process to start.

hudtwalcker

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019
What "lonely Google Chrome process"?

Take a screenshot and post here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

And you can look in Task Manager > Startup for apps, utilities, etc. that you do not recognize or expect.

Also look in Task Scheduler: there may be some trigger in place related to Chrome or perhaps something else that causes the process to start.

Here's the screenshot, today I removed chrome and reinstalled it, I am not using any new extensions, I've been using the ones I use for several years already, I trust them, when I right click on the process it takes me to the google chrome folder, I honestly can't tell if its malware, a virus or a glitch, I've ran all the malware and antivirus software I have, the only thing I have left is looking at task scheduler as you say, but honestly I don't know what to look for.
A0YEWVu.png

hudtwalcker

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019
i've definitely never noticed a browser taking up >50% of CPU usage.

you haven't stated if so or not.

i would still just remove Chrome, delete any folders it leaves behind, and see if this process still exists.
yes, I uninstalled chrome and the process did not start anymore, also when I right click on the process - open file location, it takes me to the google-chrome folder where the exe file is. I just started my pc this morning and there it is again, first thing that tarts with windows, eating up my CPU usage and making my fans spin high.

hudtwalcker

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019
just use a better browser.
So I followed your "smart" suggestion, deleted chrome and went for Firefox, after installing and configuring everything perfectly, now I have THE SAME EXACT ISSUE, a Firefox process starts with windows, takes up a lot of CPU and power usage and Firefox is not even open, I right click on the process-open file location and it takes me to the correct firefox folder, I just scanned my PC with Defender, used Malwarebytes and they both found nothing, It's just a process that starts with Windows and opens a browser process and starts doing something, have I been hacked ? Is someone using my computer from afar as a network or something ?? Please Help anyone ??

Ralston18

Titan
Reading back - go back a step:

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Also use Process Explorer (free from Microsoft) to take a closer look at all that is running.

Reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Exactly what is that "Firefox process" that is starting with Windows?

Look in Task Scheduler for anything that is triggering that process to run.

with both Chrome & Firefox there will be a single app running in Task Manager.
shouldn't be any 'lonely process' or related background processes at all while in basic use.

so you're either using a hacked/cracked OS that came like this or you have an infestation.
the fact that your malware scans do not turn up anything would lead me more towards using a dirty OS.

if you have a legit registered serial or tied account just perform a fresh install of Windows and avoid wherever you've been downloading from or whatever you've been clicking on that has lead to this issue.

Solution

Ralston18

Titan