I have a motherboard that a capcitor flew off with the wrong ram. can i replace the capacitor that flew off?

LeadGaming212

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017
I need to know what the capacitor name is the mother boards name is Asus M5A97 and the capacitor that flew off is the one under the ram slots on the left of this black chip thing that has writing on it saying r20 and just above the writing of USB 3.0

would be great if someone could find the capacitors name so i can order a new one and fit it.

LeadGaming212

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017
Yes i have soldered before.
but dont you really just need a soldering iron and hands to do this..... i dont know what the capcitor's name was because when it "flew off" i have no idea where it went. all i need to know is the capcitors name and i will be able to order it and easily replace the missing capacitor...

this capacitor is important i believe because the board light comes on but it does not turn on...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
images of the motherboard show that the capacitors adjacent to it are the same, what model are these. I cannot read the print in the images available to me.
you can replace with a cap with the same voltage, and farad rating.

you will need a desoldering braid/other solder removal tool to remove all the old solder in order to ensure the new solder makes a good connection

But, have you ever actually done any surface mount work? It's a completely different ballgame. If you use the same tools that you use for other types of soldering you will, in all likelihood, destroy, at a minimum, the component being installed, and, possibly the pads on the motherboard as well.

LeadGaming212

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017
I'm not 7, i have done this type of stuff before, ive put capacitors, resistors and other things, its not even that hard, and ive watched people do it like people who repair crappy macs