Question I have a new computer coming with windows 10 home installed on the ssd drive. I would like to dual boot this machine.

Dooby-doo

Reputable
Feb 15, 2016
Is it feasible to take the hard drive out of the old computer (windows 7 professional and the programs installed on it) and drop it in the new computer? Would it dual boot? If so, it would save me a lot of time not having to re-install the os and programs.
Thanks!

Chances are it wont' work if its a new computer because windows 7 may not recognise anything.
You can always remove your SSD (disconnect it) and plug in the windows 7 HD and see if it works, but no guarantee.
Dual boots normally have to be installed AFTER the main operating system. I may be wrong on this, but I am farely sure

Dooby-doo

Reputable
Feb 15, 2016
Chances are it wont' work if its a new computer because windows 7 may not recognise anything.
You can always remove your SSD (disconnect it) and plug in the windows 7 HD and see if it works, but no guarantee.
Dual boots normally have to be installed AFTER the main operating system. I may be wrong on this, but I am farely sure
Thanks for the reply. I know the win 7 os drivers might not recognize all the hardware in the new machine. There are a lot of generic drivers for the windows os so if I could at least get the win 7 drive to dual boot then I could work on the drivers.
My thinking was the BIOS of the new machine would see 2 active primary partitions and maybe go into the dual boot mode.