I have a person accessing my home computer remotely How do I stop them ?l

Jennifer_47

Commendable
Aug 20, 2016
I have a dell home computer (tower) with netgear as my router. Someone, who I know, has been accessing my computer. How can I stop them ?

Solution

How do you know this?
What is telling you someone else has accessed your system or network?

Knowing how this is happening is crucial to determining how to 'fix this'.

USAFRet

Titan

How do you know this?
What is telling you someone else has accessed your system or network?

Knowing how this is happening is crucial to determining how to 'fix this'.

Solution

Jennifer_47

Commendable
Aug 20, 2016

Jennifer_47

Commendable
Aug 20, 2016
The person in question built my home computer and installed the router. He also informed me that his old company never changed their router passwords when he left, therefore he can access their entire network. I just need to know besides changing the router password, what else can I do to prevent him from accessing my home computer ?

Jennifer_47

Commendable
Aug 20, 2016

Jennifer_47

Commendable
Aug 20, 2016
Where do I find this option on the router ? Do I need to physically look at the router or is it on my computer, if so where ? I have no it experience and need all the help I can get, newly divorced mom trying to keep her life private. SO, any step by step instructions would be of tremendous value.

Your router is a hardware device that will sit between your internet modem and your pc.
Sometimes, it is a combined device that has both modem and router functions.
The model number of the device should be on a label somewhere.
If you are using ATT or Comcast, it is likely to be a combined device.
One can call Comcast/att support for help, and that is likely a good thing to do.

Download the instructions for your router.
google to find that.
What you can do and how will depend on the specific hardware.

There should be a web based app that the router uses that lets you log in to a whole bunch of complicated options.
Most you will not need.
Look for the way to change the default password that lets you access the router.

grimakis

Reputable
Sep 29, 2015
Unless you have a static IP, how would said person even know where to find your router? How do you know they are doing anything to your computer? Are you just basing it on the comment they made regarding their prior workplace?