[SOLVED] I have a program that keeps opening a window whenever I'm on my computer

May 21, 2021
Randomly while using my computer it will switch itself to what I think is the command prompt but then immediately closes itself so I can't tell. I've done every file cleanup, virus scan, root kit scan, malware scan, and ccleaner I could think of, I've tried asking some of my friends for help and they recommended I come here. My hunch is I uninstalled a program incorrectly and that's causing the problem but I honestly have no clue. I've noticed no other effects than the window switching but it happens fairly frequently and is incredibly frustrating, especially while gaming as it forces a pause in games that do pause, or just continues my last input with games that don't, Like Dark Souls 3.

Last edited:
Solution
Try to get a look at the ">" when the windows open: Is it a "system32" path or perhaps a "PS>" prompt. If the latter thenPowershell is being launched by something.

Take a look at keyboard shortcuts that may have been created for games, Ease of access, Personalization. and Gaming. Could be that a shortcut is not as it should be - if it should be there at all.

I will add some other suggestions:

1) Run the built in Windows troubleshooters - the troubleshooters may find and fix that unknown "something".

2) Try "sfc /scannnow" and "dism" via the Command Prompt.

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161...
Next time when the command prompt appears, press the Windows key + PRT SC key immediately, the screenshot is automatically saved to Pictures -> Screenshot.

You can view it to see what program is the culprit.

img_59a7178934c72.png

May 21, 2021
Next time when the command prompt appears, press the Windows key + PRT SC key immediately, the screenshot is automatically saved to Pictures -> Screenshot.

You can view it to see what program is the culprit.

img_59a7178934c72.png
I will attempt my very best to get this to work, but if the prompt even shows up it does so randomly and only for a split second, and I doubt my reflexes are fast enough to effectively try this

May 21, 2021
Yeah, this isn't gonna work, it's too random in it's occurrence, too short a time frame to accurately react to, and furthermore there isn't even always a window that opens, sometimes it just takes me out of whatever program I am running and puts me back into it in the blink of an eye. I just recorded what happened last time on my phone and no other program pops up, the game I was running was just sent to a pause screen.

Ralston18

Titan
Try to get a look at the ">" when the windows open: Is it a "system32" path or perhaps a "PS>" prompt. If the latter thenPowershell is being launched by something.

Take a look at keyboard shortcuts that may have been created for games, Ease of access, Personalization. and Gaming. Could be that a shortcut is not as it should be - if it should be there at all.

I will add some other suggestions:

1) Run the built in Windows troubleshooters - the troubleshooters may find and fix that unknown "something".

2) Try "sfc /scannnow" and "dism" via the Command Prompt.

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

Failing a "Windows' fix" then you can delve deeper:

Look in Task Manager > Startup for any unidentified/unrecognized apps being launched at startup. Do not immediately delete anything - instead try to identify what it is and what it is supposed to do.

A second place to look is Task Scheduler. There may be some trigger in place that opens the Command Prompt (?) Window. Perhaps deliberately or just due to some bad or corrupted code. It will take some time to read through Task Scheduler but you may realize while looking that there is some cause and effect relationship occurring.

You can also download Process Explorer (free) via Microsoft's website. Again once you can view all of the running processes then you again may see something that appears out of order or otherwise does not make sense. Do not react by immediately disabling or deleting anything. Research whatever you see that causes concern.

Take you time and keep notes.

Lastly: Ensure that all important data is backed up at least 2 x and proven to be recoverable and readable. Store copies off of the computer in question.

Solution