Question I have a question about 4090 vs 3090 vs 3080

Aug 24, 2022
I want to build a decent gaming machine for 2023, ready for unreal engine 5 titles and other graphically demanding games.

I am thinking about the rtx 4090 that seems perfect for the raw performance and software technology (DLSS 3.0 which is leading the industry).

The concern remains in the pricing. the 3090 costs a lot more than 3080, but the performance gain doesn't justify the $300 difference for gaming. I want to build a pure gaming machine btw and I will not do any professional work on it.

So I am wondering if I pay for the rtx 4090, would it be a bad idea because I would pay extra for the thing I don't need? Should I buy the rtx 4080 16 gb instead?

any thought is appreciated.

What CPU will you be pairing it with?
What PSU do you have?
What are your monitor specs?

Do you plan to keep this card for years on end or upgrade when the 5000 series comes out?
You are the one who decides how to spend your money, but there are many variables to consider besides the performance difference of the GPUs themselves.

Aug 24, 2022
What CPU will you be pairing it with?
What PSU do you have?
What are your monitor specs?

Do you plan to keep this card for years on end or upgrade when the 5000 series comes out?
You are the one who decides how to spend your money, but there are many variables to consider besides the performance difference of the GPUs themselves.

Thanks for the reply,

CPU: perhaps Intel® Core™ i9-13900KF
ADM ryzen 9 7095x seems to be a disappointment for gaming. but I am not sure the i9 13 will be better. Again, I am not gonna be using this new PC for work. But I still need a powerful CPU for strategy games that have many AIs.

PSU: planning on getting the ATX 3.0 one.

Monitor: I am using a 1080p 144hz right now but I can buy a new one later.

I am planning on keeping this card for 5-6 years perhaps. Depending on the future situation. I have been using a gtx 1080m laptop for 7 years now. So this would be my 1st pc build after so long.

Because of many upcoming variables, I am very confused about what to get. I am willing to spend big but not willing to waste on the extra things I don't need.

Thanks for the reply,

ADM ryzen 9 7095x seems to be a disappointment for gaming. but I am not sure the i9 13 will be better. Again, I am not gonna be using this new PC for work. But I still need a powerful CPU for strategy games that have many AIs.

I am planning on keeping this card for 5-6 years perhaps. Depending on the future situation. I have been using a gtx 1080m laptop for 7 years now. So this would be my 1st pc build after so long.

Because of many upcoming variables, I am very confused about what to get. I am willing to spend big but not willing to waste on the extra things I don't need.

Oh, you're starting from scratch? The budget you're considering would be a total waste on your current monitor. I'd recommend asking this question again just before you plan to actually order the parts for this build, once you know your final budget, in the 'systems' section of the forum.

Your final budget will dictate which card you can afford while still maximizing the performance of the rest of the system. Don't forget to include the cost of that new monitor :)

Aug 24, 2022
Oh, you're starting from scratch? The budget you're considering would be a total waste on your current monitor. I'd recommend asking this question again just before you plan to actually order the parts for this build, once you know your final budget, in the 'systems' section of the forum.

Your final budget will dictate which card you can afford while still maximizing the performance of the rest of the system. Don't forget to include the cost of that new monitor :)

My budget would be around $6-7000. Dont worry about a new monitor lol. I do have one in mind 😂

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks for the reply,

A 1390KF will be just overkill for a gaming PC.

For the video cards nobody can answer that till some real gaming benchmarks come out for the 4090.

Aug 24, 2022
Think through your build, because based on what you have posted so far, there are a number of ways to save money without impacting performance.

I am really looking to new upcoming technologies. DLSS 3.0 is one of them. It is true that Nvidia often has bad business practices but all big companies do. AMD is not really a good guy here either. But that is normal. At least, Nvidia is leading in terms of software innovation. As I said, I haven't upgraded anything for 7 years already.

The new hardware may be more capable to run future (more graphically demanding) titles. When I put down $6-7k, I also expect this machine to last 5-6 years as well. The last time I bought a $3,500 gtx 1080 laptop, it lasts longer than I thought (~7 years), and it is still a good machine now but I will mainly use it for work. I skipped RTX 2000 & 3000 and boy, it was a very good decision.

Last edited:

larsv8

Distinguished
I am really looking to new upcoming technologies. DLSS 3.0 is one of them. It is true that Nvidia often has bad business practices but all big companies do. AMD is not really a good guy here either. But that is normal. At least, Nvidia is leading in terms of software innovation. As I said, I haven't upgraded anything for 7 years already.

The new hardware may be more capable to run future (more graphically demanding) titles. When I put down $6-7k, I also expect this machine to last 5-6 years as well. The last time I bought a $3,500 gtx 1080 laptop, it lasts longer than I thought (~7 years), and it is still a good machine now but I will mainly use it for work. I skipped RTX 2000 & 3000 and boy, it was a very good decision.

EXwlNry.png

I made this chart to try and help illustrate my point.

You should not start your search by saying I want to spend 6k, you should start by saying I want achieve XYZ, and I have a budget up to 6k.

Seems like you really want to spend at the Green Dot. I would advise spending half as much (red dot), getting the same performance, and then upgrade again in 3-4 years, as opposed to 7. Its just a more efficient use of your money.

Another analogy or way to put it is too say that if you intend to do a lot of towing, a Lamborghini is not better than a truck, even though it costs more.

Aug 24, 2022
EXwlNry.png

I made this chart to try and help illustrate my point.

You should not start your search by saying I want to spend 6k, you should start by saying I want achieve XYZ, and I have a budget up to 6k.

Seems like you really want to spend at the Green Dot. I would advise spending half as much (red dot), getting the same performance, and then upgrade again in 3-4 years, as opposed to 7. Its just a more efficient use of your money.

Another analogy or way to put it is too say that if you intend to do a lot of towing, a Lamborghini is not better than a truck, even though it costs more.

You are not wrong. However, the promise of DLSS 3.0 looks great. But I will wait for the card to come out and receive more performance reviews before making any purchase.

The reason why I don't go with the RTX 3000 is because it has shown its limit when facing unreal engine 5. Let's see if the DLSS 3.0 can fair any better. I am not really ia hurry to buy anything right now.

Last edited:

larsv8

Distinguished
You are not wrong. However, the promise of DLSS 3.0 looks great. But I will wait for the card to come out and receive more performance reviews before making any purchase.

The reason why I don't go with the RTX 3000 is because it has shown its limit when facing unreal engine 5. Let's see if the DLSS 3.0 can fair any better. I am not really hurry to buy anything right now.

Not trying to talk you out of RTX 4090, trying to talk you out of a high end processor.