I have a question regarding Connecting to Wireless Networks

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi there

I drove around today using the program netstumbler and found many access
points. I managed to connect to 2 of them but that is all I could do,
connect. I was able to click the connection and get the speed, I even did a
IPCONFIG and it returned the IP address of the other machine.
How do I look at their network or use the Internet while I am connected to
them. I am sure there is a very simple way but I do not know at.

I am using Windows XP

Thanks in Advance

Jack

Connecting to an unsuspecting person's internet is fairly easy,
especially if they broadcast their SSID and do not use any encryption.
You simply configure your card to accept ANY connection and joila! As
for breaking into a person's network....that is a privacy issue and I
don't condone it.

On Mon, 31 May 2004 16:46:39 GMT, "Jack" <joeblggd@ddd.ddd> wrote:

>Hi there
>
>I drove around today using the program netstumbler and found many access
>points. I managed to connect to 2 of them but that is all I could do,
>connect. I was able to click the connection and get the speed, I even did a
>IPCONFIG and it returned the IP address of the other machine.
>How do I look at their network or use the Internet while I am connected to
>them. I am sure there is a very simple way but I do not know at.
>
>I am using Windows XP
>
>Thanks in Advance
>
>Jack

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

I have the SSID as the place I want to use the Internet is outside a cafe
that is known for people using it. The problem I have got is when it tells
me I have a wireless connection and I press the Internet Explorer button,
obviously the laptop trys to dial the default connection and not use the
wireless connection.

I have obviously got to configure a connection so this does not happen and
that is what I am looking for help with. I do not want to break into
networks, just learn more about wireless ones and would appreciate the
advise.

"Doug Jamal" <unimportantbishiv6atyahoodotcom@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Connecting to an unsuspecting person's internet is fairly easy,
> especially if they broadcast their SSID and do not use any encryption.
> You simply configure your card to accept ANY connection and joila! As
> for breaking into a person's network....that is a privacy issue and I
> don't condone it.
>
> On Mon, 31 May 2004 16:46:39 GMT, "Jack" <joeblggd@ddd.ddd> wrote:
>
> >Hi there
> >
> >I drove around today using the program netstumbler and found many access
> >points. I managed to connect to 2 of them but that is all I could do,
> >connect. I was able to click the connection and get the speed, I even did
> >IPCONFIG and it returned the IP address of the other machine.
> >How do I look at their network or use the Internet while I am connected
> >them. I am sure there is a very simple way but I do not know at.
> >
> >I am using Windows XP
> >
> >Thanks in Advance
> >
> >Jack

Open the IE Browser and then click on TOOLS. Next, click on INTERNET
OPTIONS. Now click on the CONNECTIONS tab and click on NEVER DIAL A
CONNECTION. You may have to configure IE for LAN use. If so, just
configure it for automatic detection. Now, when you click on the IE
browser, you should be able to browse as long as your wireless
settings are configured correctly. No matter what Wireless
configuration utility you are using, you must make sure that the SSID
and the WEP keys (unless encryption is disabled) are the same as that
of the router's. If you see an IP address similar to 169.254...then
you will have to release and renew it so that it will be similar to
192.168...... Anyway, I'm quite sure there are easier methods
available. Hope this helps.

On Mon, 31 May 2004 23:23:58 GMT, "Jack" <joeblggd@ddd.ddd> wrote:

>I have the SSID as the place I want to use the Internet is outside a cafe
>that is known for people using it. The problem I have got is when it tells
>me I have a wireless connection and I press the Internet Explorer button,
>obviously the laptop trys to dial the default connection and not use the
>wireless connection.
>
>I have obviously got to configure a connection so this does not happen and
>that is what I am looking for help with. I do not want to break into
>networks, just learn more about wireless ones and would appreciate the
>advise.
>
>"Doug Jamal" <unimportantbishiv6atyahoodotcom@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Connecting to an unsuspecting person's internet is fairly easy,
>> especially if they broadcast their SSID and do not use any encryption.
>> You simply configure your card to accept ANY connection and joila! As
>> for breaking into a person's network....that is a privacy issue and I
>> don't condone it.
>>
>> On Mon, 31 May 2004 16:46:39 GMT, "Jack" <joeblggd@ddd.ddd> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi there
>> >
>> >I drove around today using the program netstumbler and found many access
>> >points. I managed to connect to 2 of them but that is all I could do,
>> >connect. I was able to click the connection and get the speed, I even did
>> >IPCONFIG and it returned the IP address of the other machine.
>> >How do I look at their network or use the Internet while I am connected
>> >them. I am sure there is a very simple way but I do not know at.
>> >
>> >I am using Windows XP
>> >
>> >Thanks in Advance
>> >
>> >Jack

Jack