[SOLVED] I have a question regarding memory and and its voltage supply

Jan 19, 2021
I recently bought a new laptop ( HP Pavilion 15-ec1006na )
Specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 8 Core
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Max-Q 6GB
8GB DDR4 3200 Memory 1.2v

My intention is to upgrade the memory to 32GB (the motherboard's maximum supported amount) and have purchased a Crucial Ballistix 32GB kit (2 x 16GB sticks) [model - BL2K16G32C16S4B]

The kit's advertised speed is 3200MHz and they run at 1.35v supply (as you can see, the memory the laptop comes with runs at 1.2v).

I have done some research regarding memory and can't separate the fact from conjecture.
Some places lead me to believe that if my motherboard is incapable of supplying voltage beyond 1.2v to the RAM slots then the memory will run fine (I checked compatibility on Crucial's website), but likely at a lower speed of 2666Mhz as the memory would have insufficient power to run at the advertised 3200MHz, and that if I want 3200MHz I will need to find a kit that runs at this speed on 1.2v supply.
Other places seem to think that the motherboard will supply the memory sticks with the voltage they require by default.

Can anyone clear this up for me?
I've tried to find out if my motherboard is limited in terms of the voltage that it can supply to the components that are installed on it. According to Command Prompt my motherboard model is HP 87B3 but I cannot find any information on it when searching. All search requests omit this model number from the search and return generic HP motherboard pages.

Any help gratefully received.

Solution
Crucial does have a 16GB x 2 set at 3200MHz @ 1.2V compatible with your laptop -- model CT2K16G4SFRA32A.

It is extremely unlikely that your bios has the choice to run memory at 1.35V.

TRENDING THREADS