[SOLVED] I have a Sony digital audio/video control center and a TCL ROKU TV set..

Dec 14, 2021
TV has HDMI ARC and SONY control center has HDMI. When remodeling my house I did not wire an HDMI cable between the units. Units are about15 feet apart. I have reviewed several HDMI dongles, all of which have many bad reviews, for the purpose of connecting, sans HDMI cable.

Not even sure if such connection is possible and cutting into the walls to run a cable is not possible.

Any ideas worth a try??

Solution
If your TV has analogue Audio Out (eg, for headphones), and your Sony has Analogie In (it shoud), and you can settle for analog stereo sound - wireless audio links are much more mature and cheap (think something like old-school RCA wireless headphones)
Dec 14, 2021
What is the final idea - to watch media from Sony on the TV, with sound going back to Sony, or just sound back to Sony?

THere are nice-looking nearly flat HDMI cables, and if 4K is not on the horizon, this might work for you.

A HDMI cable is not a solution for my installation. Some method of transmitting/receiving audio/video between the Sony and TCL ROKU tv is my idea. TV is wifi capable but the SONY is not.

I have read about HDMI to wifi and wifi to HDMI so a "device" that would attach to the HDMI ARC port on the tv and another to attach to the SONY HDMI port might work for me.

My TCL ROKU tv is connected to my router via LAN 5E cable and wifi. I can use Air Play between my Iphone and TV, print between Iphone and wireless printer, display photos from laptop on ROKU tv. . . . .

Not able to reach tv speakers from SONY or reach whole house speakers from the ROKU tv. The older SONY does not have wifi capability and I cannot/will not run cable about the room.

My oversight for not running HDMI cables inside the walls during renovation!!!

Do you know of any reliable HDMI to wifi dongles that might solve this issue? Distance between SONY and ROKU tv is about 15 feet with no walls between.

btw; My TCL ROKU tv is 4k.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021
There are (or used to be) HDMI wireless connections (unidirectional), but with the price of $150 ). Never used one of these, and they'll be of no use for you since you need bi-directional link.

Yes I have reviewed some of those and rejected them because of the mostly bad reviews plus the prices made the risk too expensive for my budget.

Not going to tear up walls and ceilings to run a HDMI cable between tv and SONY. Someday technology will catch up with my needs, maybe!

If your TV has analogue Audio Out (eg, for headphones), and your Sony has Analogie In (it shoud), and you can settle for analog stereo sound - wireless audio links are much more mature and cheap (think something like old-school RCA wireless headphones)

Solution
Dec 14, 2021

That might work well for audio but my issues are with combined audio/video. All the audio products I checked only accommodated audio!

Does anyone know of a product that allows the transfer of audio and associated video between a HDMI connector on a SONY home theater system and a TCL ROKU smart tv with HDMI connectors?

Seems like a wonderful product some smart mfg could produce!