Question I have a very weird OC problem with my 8700k and I dont know how to fix it.

Sep 15, 2019
Hey,

I have been trying to OC my 8700k to 4.7 GHz for the last 5 days. I have nto been succseful at all. I have a MSI Edge AC Z390 MOBO and a x52 liquid cooler.I tried every voltage from 1.265 v to 1.31 v and then running Intel Burn Test. Every voltage from 1.265 to 1.275 I think, crashed when I was running the test. Every other voltage from their made didnt crash but Intel Burn test said it was unstable. I have most of my BIOS settings on Auto btw and I dont really know what to do. I tried doing the same thing in 4.6 GHz but it didnt work. It only started working at 4.5 GHz. If someone could help me that would be amazing.

Thanks,

Anthony

How well you can OC will be determined by the quality of your particular chip.

Then, your limit will be either your temperature or the vcore you will tolerate.

If you want to go higher, you will need to allow the vcore to go up perhaps as high as 1.4.

There is more sophistication available if you do not use auto voltage specs.

Is goin past 4.5 really worth it to you?

You could send the chip to silicon lottery for delidding and optionally binning.
https://siliconlottery.com/collections/all/products/delid?variant=19733401305174

Sep 15, 2019
How well you can OC will be determined by the quality of your particular chip.

Then, your limit will be either your temperature or the vcore you will tolerate.

If you want to go higher, you will need to allow the vcore to go up perhaps as high as 1.4.

There is more sophistication available if you do not use auto voltage specs.

Is goin past 4.5 really worth it to you?

You could send the chip to silicon lottery for delidding and optionally binning.
https://siliconlottery.com/collections/all/products/delid?variant=19733401305174
Someone on Reddit said something about my CPU cache degrading. Could this be true?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
In bios:
-What is the cpu current limit set to?
If this is still on the default 100%, what happens is the PC will shut off if you exceed that power limit, so this needs to be raised.
The setting varies between motherboards - mine only has 3 settings, 100%, 140%, and 200%.
You should NOT select the highest available limits, unless you do LN2. Whatever is the middle ground on your mobo should be enough.

-What is LLC, Load Line Calibration, set to?
Same deal as the previous, avoid the highest settings, stick with the middleman.

Also, you might be one of the folks who needs to remove their memory overclock to achieve a higher core frequency.
Some cpus aren't able to handle overclocking both memory and frequency.

Last edited:
Make sure you on the latest stable BIOS. Start again by loading optimised defaults. Set XMP profile, set vcore manually to 1.29v (you should be able to go much lower but start here), set LLC to the medium setting, not sure what it is on MSI boards but on my Gigabyte I have it set to 'high'. change multiplier to 47. Reboot and test and check temps. If it passes and temps are good (they should be!), reduce vcore a notch and start again until you have a happy medium. You should be able to get a stable vcore at the 1.20 to 1.25v range...

I have my 8700K at 4.9GHz at 1.278v though I am using a Z370 Gigabyte Gaming 7 motherboard and have not had any issues. The 8700K is a very good CPU and overclocks very well. I can only believe it is the MSI bios and you just need to fine tune.

I am sure you have read this overclocking guide from MSI even though it is for the 9th gen CPU's but it should help, just adjust for the 8700K as you are not going to 5GHz.

https://www.msi.com/blog/intel-9th-cpu-overclocking-5ghz-with-z390-motherboards

ChunkyCheese

Prominent
Feb 20, 2019
Remember every chip is different with how far you can push based on voltage, 2 days ago I was able to oc my 8700k to 4.7ghz on asrock z390 phantom gaming 6 mobo, I got the chip stable at 1.32 volts on the Vcore. Also check to see if you can download oc tweaker program from you mobo manufactures website as for asrock boards they have an oc tweaker so you can test an oc without going in and out of the bios every time. Also monitor you chip at 4.5ghz as if the chip is already getting into the 70c range and if you can’t get the chip stable at a certain voltage I would just say to be happy with 4.5 as once you start trying to push the chip at higher voltages it gets hotter and increases the chance of you accidentally overvolting a component. But yes mine went to 4.7ghz on 1.32 volts.