[SOLVED] I have an i7-6700k. What is the best modern GPU or Video Card that I can get for it that will not get bottle-necked by the CPU?

AXELRAPUNZEL

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
Current set up:

processor = i7- 6700k 4.0 Ghz boosts to 4.2 Ghz
RAM = 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 2400
storage = 1 TB HD and two 240 GB SSD (1 Patriot and 1 Evo 850 )
power supply CS 650M = gold rated
gpu: RX480 - 8 GB
Motherboard: gigabyte z170M-d3h-CF

Solution
Any of those will work fine. The problem is though, that for high FPS, the 6700k is beginning to show it's age. It only has four cores and it's IPC is marginally lower than more modern generations. Not that much though really so for games that primarily use only 1-4 cores, it does just as good as modern Gens so long as you are only gaming and are not recording, streaming, encoding, or running other resource intensive heavy multi-tasking processes WHILE you are gaming.

If you are running games that heavily rely on many cores, or if you do a lot of heavy multitasking, then you may run into problems with your 6700k when trying to achieve very high FPS. For 60FPS gaming, at any resolution, there is no issue using this CPU with any current...

AXELRAPUNZEL

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
What resolution is your monitor?

I'm running an RTX 2060 Super XC Ultra gaming with my 6700k@4.6Ghz, and I'm running at 1440p, but this CPU could easily be paired up with an RTX 2070 no problem. Or any modern GPU for that matter.

Thank you for this man. I am running a 1440p 144hz montior myself. An MSi mag321cqr Thank you for this. Looks like I will go with 2060, 2070 or 2080 if my budget will permit.... but if not, 5700xt it is lol

Any of those will work fine. The problem is though, that for high FPS, the 6700k is beginning to show it's age. It only has four cores and it's IPC is marginally lower than more modern generations. Not that much though really so for games that primarily use only 1-4 cores, it does just as good as modern Gens so long as you are only gaming and are not recording, streaming, encoding, or running other resource intensive heavy multi-tasking processes WHILE you are gaming.

If you are running games that heavily rely on many cores, or if you do a lot of heavy multitasking, then you may run into problems with your 6700k when trying to achieve very high FPS. For 60FPS gaming, at any resolution, there is no issue using this CPU with any current graphics card. For 144FPS gaming, regardless of the graphics card (Which really has little effect on high FPS gaming so long as it is able to handle the quality settings) especially if it's very much optimized for threaded performance, that is where a newer CPU will benefit you. There is a big difference between a CPU that can handle 6 cores and has 6 additional hyperthreads and one that only has four/four, for threaded titles or applications.

Even so, your 6700k should handle those graphics cards just fine so long as you are aware that the FPS limitations are not going to be a product of the graphics card you choose, to some degree anyhow. For 1440p 144hz gaming, I'd go with the 2070 or higher unless you are ok with dropping some settings down on more demanding titles. My 2060 Super can bog down on some titles without dropping to high settings. A 2070 Super or some variant, like the Super KO models, would be a good choice.

I'd look at the EVGA cards. They are hands down the best options out there, with the best support after the sale, transferable warranties and the option to add extended warranties that don't suck.

Being able to add an additional 2 years to the existing 3 year warranty for another 30 bucks or an additional 7 years for 60 bucks, less for less costly cards, is something nobody else offers and if you tend to keep your cards for a very long time, is WELL worth it.

https://www.evga.com/support/warranty/extended.asp

Plus many of their cards come with binned GPUs, if you buy the higher quality models from each series.

Solution

AXELRAPUNZEL

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017

If you are running games that heavily rely on many cores, or if you do a lot of heavy multitasking, then you may run into problems with your 6700k when trying to achieve very high FPS. For 60FPS gaming, at any resolution, there is no issue using this CPU with any current graphics card. For 144FPS gaming, regardless of the graphics card (Which really has little effect on high FPS gaming so long as it is able to handle the quality settings) especially if it's very much optimized for threaded performance, that is where a newer CPU will benefit you. There is a big difference between a CPU that can handle 6 cores and has 6 additional hyperthreads and one that only has four/four, for threaded titles or applications.

Even so, your 6700k should handle those graphics cards just fine so long as you are aware that the FPS limitations are not going to be a product of the graphics card you choose, to some degree anyhow. For 1440p 144hz gaming, I'd go with the 2070 or higher unless you are ok with dropping some settings down on more demanding titles. My 2060 Super can bog down on some titles without dropping to high settings. A 2070 Super or some variant, like the Super KO models, would be a good choice.

I'd look at the EVGA cards. They are hands down the best options out there, with the best support after the sale, transferable warranties and the option to add extended warranties that don't suck.

Being able to add an additional 2 years to the existing 3 year warranty for another 30 bucks or an additional 7 years for 60 bucks, less for less costly cards, is something nobody else offers and if you tend to keep your cards for a very long time, is WELL worth it.

https://www.evga.com/support/warranty/extended.asp

Plus many of their cards come with binned GPUs, if you buy the higher quality models from each series.

Wow thank you for your feedback too. this will certainly help! I'm gona start saving up for an EVGA graphics card then

There might be some untapped OC potential, as many 6700K models hit 4.6 GHz with no core voltage increase required, and, with reasonable temps...; can't recall if Gigabyte Z170 boards have the MCE feature, but, enabling that would be a good first step, which will allow all cores to boost to max turbo, and, even a few clicks within Intel's XTU will allow you to specify higher max turbos on 1.2.3 or all 4 cores, with AVX offsets or core voltage adjustments if needed/desired, and, all while still in Balanced Power mode. My own 7700K , for example ,can still idle at as low as 800 -1200 MHz for desktop loafing/surfing, yet quickly boosts all cores to as high as 4.7 GHz as needed under load within reasonable 65-68C gaming temps, and, 75C under Prime95/small FFT (no AVX) loads... The 4c/8t CPU does have limitations and does not do well with added CPU intensive tasks such as streaming while gaming, but, still fares quite well even in .1/1% lows of framerates for many games...

AXELRAPUNZEL

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
There might be some untapped OC potential, as many 6700K models hit 4.6 GHz with no core voltage increase required, and, with reasonable temps...; can't recall if Gigabyte Z170 boards have the MCE feature, but, enabling that would be a good first step, which will allow all cores to boost to max turbo, and, even a few clicks within Intel's XTU will allow you to specify higher max turbos on 1.2.3 or all 4 cores, with AVX offsets or core voltage adjustments if needed/desired, and, all while still in Balanced Power mode. My own 7700K , for example ,can still idle at as low as 800 -1200 MHz for desktop loafing/surfing, yet quickly boosts all cores to as high as 4.7 GHz as needed under load within reasonable 65-68C gaming temps, and, 75C under Prime95/small FFT (no AVX) loads... The 4c/8t CPU does have limitations and does not do well with added CPU intensive tasks such as streaming while gaming, but, still fares quite well even in .1/1% lows of framerates for many games...

ah nice! streaming while gaming shouldn't be a problem though if you are using a capture card right?

A capture card doesn't replace the need for a CPU that can handle the streams, or the recording, while gaming. No matter what something else does, it almost always requires help from the CPU in some way or another.

Most streaming applications are much more heavily reliant on the CPU than the GPU. That can lean one way or the other depending on various factors but no matter what, if you stream, you will need to use some CPU resources and that is when a system with fewer cores that is needing them to be used for the game, might suffer to some degree or other depending on how many cores it is optimized to use while gaming, and how intensive the load is at the time.

AXELRAPUNZEL

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
A capture card doesn't replace the need for a CPU that can handle the streams, or the recording, while gaming. No matter what something else does, it almost always requires help from the CPU in some way or another.

Most streaming applications are much more heavily reliant on the CPU than the GPU. That can lean one way or the other depending on various factors but no matter what, if you stream, you will need to use some CPU resources and that is when a system with fewer cores that is needing them to be used for the game, might suffer to some degree or other depending on how many cores it is optimized to use while gaming, and how intensive the load is at the time.

Ah Thank you!