[SOLVED] I have been having a flickering problem for the last serveral months and it's annoying

briblo1982

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2015
It only flickers in windows but not in the any game i play. I just updated the graphics drivers. I'm trying not to reinstall windows unless i absolutely have to cause of all the games i have to reinstall which is annoying

Solution
I just updated the graphics drivers.
you can try wiping all graphics related files with DDU in safe mode
and then reinstalling the latest package from Nvidia.
many times some system files(possibly corrupt) can be left in place when just updating or using the Nvidia\Windows uninstall option.
I'm trying not to reinstall windows unless i absolutely have to cause of all the games i have to reinstall
most games don't need specific system files in place to run.
you should be able to copy them to a separate drive,
which is a much better course of action to avoid issues like this in the future.

even if installed from a provider like Steam or Epic,
you can usually set a new directory and let it rescan the existing files and just...
I just updated the graphics drivers.
many times some system files(possibly corrupt) can be left in place when just updating or using the Nvidia\Windows uninstall option.
I'm trying not to reinstall windows unless i absolutely have to cause of all the games i have to reinstall
which is a much better course of action to avoid issues like this in the future.

you can usually set a new directory and let it rescan the existing files and just update where needed.

also make backups of the game save files stored in Users & ProgramData folders
so you can keep them backed-up elsewhere for future OS issues.

another thing to keep in mind is that you can achieve a bit of performance increase in certain instances by having the game's data on a separate drive than the OS.
having both reading\writing to the same disk for long periods can cause major read\write slowdowns.

Solution

briblo1982

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2015

you can usually set a new directory and let it rescan the existing files and just update where needed.

also make backups of the game save files stored in Users & ProgramData folders
so you can keep them backed-up elsewhere for future OS issues.

another thing to keep in mind is that you can achieve a bit of performance increase in certain instances by having the game's data on a separate drive than the OS.
having both reading\writing to the same disk for long periods can cause major read\write slowdowns.
i already copied my uplay, origin, epic games, bethesda, and battle net games to another drive. but i have over 588 steam games so backup is not possible i have to redownload these.

backup is not possible i have to redownload these
rather than a temporary backup, you should move them to a new drive permanently.
otherwise you will be doing this every time you want\need to reinstall an OS.
even a 4TB data transfer should only take a few hours. just let it run over night or when not home.
i have over 588 steam games
and the majority of these can probably be left behind. will give you an easy chance to clean up the library.
just copy the good ones you know will be replaying and leave the worthless junk uninstalled on the new setup on the new drive.