[SOLVED] I have been stumped for a year!

phil.r.greco

Prominent
Jul 3, 2018
Asus B350 Gaming Mobo
16GB of RAM
AMD Ryzen 1700X with tower cooler
AMD RX 580 GPU
256GB SSD with 2TB Data Drive
Windows 10

I built this computer a year ago. To this day I have had an unusual issue where when the system has been at idle for several hours, it will either restart itself or freeze. If it restarts, it will come back to the BIOS screen. If it freezes in Windows, I can move the mouse, but cannot click on anything. It will do it anywhere from a few hours or around a day or so. I have monitored my temps and they are fine - run memtest and it came back OK. BIOS has been updated. All drivers are up to date (I think). I put it in safe mode and after about 36 hours, it restarted itself and went to the BIOS screen again. I can play games on all settings maxed with no issues, but just this problem at idle. Nothing is overclocked. Nothing in event viewer.

Has anyone come across anything like this before? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Solution
You're physically removing all but one stick at a time (if you have 2 separate kits of 2, make sure you mark what sticks were paired (I put some painter's tape on each stick of one kit)
More than likely, only one stick will be bad. So when you're testing the good stick(s) stability shouldn't be an issue.

djdynamix

Reputable
Aug 22, 2015
Take a look in the Event Log (Access by right-clicking "Computer", selecting "Manage", and then "Event Log". Check in the "Critical" and "Error" sections for any event around the same time as the last freeze. If you find something listed but don't know what it means then please feel free to post the error message in here, and I'll try to help.

phil.r.greco

Prominent
Jul 3, 2018
That's the weird part - no error in log but just something that says critical error with no explanation. It leads me nowhere when it comes to logs.

Memtest comes back with no issues.

I have not wiped Windows yet. I was thinking more along the lines of something wrong with a piece of hardware, so I may have to start doing process of elimination unless someone thinks they can pinpoint it. I know that can be difficult when the PC isn't actually in front of you, but wishful thinking I guess LOL

D

Deleted member 14196

yeah, use Memtest86 for full 4 passes. anything more than zero errors is a bad stick. test them one at a time.

You're physically removing all but one stick at a time (if you have 2 separate kits of 2, make sure you mark what sticks were paired (I put some painter's tape on each stick of one kit)
More than likely, only one stick will be bad. So when you're testing the good stick(s) stability shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:
Solution

phil.r.greco

Prominent
Jul 3, 2018
Took out data drive and so far so good. I did always hear some weird "ping" noise from it, not a click of death, but some odd piniging type noise. We'll see if that's the issue.

William133

BANNED
Oct 5, 2019
The restarts sound like Windows updating. I had a Windows 10 for a while and it was constantly restarting with no warning in the middle of whatever I was doing to install new updates. I eventually went back to my old computer. Though it never froze on me so I don't know what that could be.

phil.r.greco

Prominent
Jul 3, 2018
Removing data drive did nothing to help. One "big duh" on my part is, I never updated the chipset drivers when I first built the machine. Did that earlier and will see what happens. BIOS update was already done.

phil.r.greco

Prominent
Jul 3, 2018
I have solved this one. Turns out the SSD i was using was garbage. An off brand called Silicon Power - I installed Windows 10 on another drive, installed all of my drivers, etc., and it has been working fine for close to a week now.