I have built a mid-range gaming computer. It isn't as fast as expected. What could be the reason?

May 15, 2018
I have an AMD fx-8320e clocked at stock 3.20GHZ with stock fan ( avg temp at 42C, max at 50C)
8GB x 2 HyperX Fury DDR3 Rams
ZOTAC GeForce GT 730 4GB
GA-78LMT-S2P (rev. 3.1) | Motherboard
Windows 10 Pro x64

The system runs slow and doesn't utilize full capacity of the ram or the CPU while it keeps struggling with running some softwares. Please tell me what could be the reason that the computer is not utilizing its full potential?

Solution
The FX 8320 is a 6 year old AM3+ processor. That socket's been retired for some time now and any AM3+ falls below the minimum requirements for most new games.

If this was still 2012, then yes... this would be considered a "mid range" system. As for today's standards, it definitely is not.
You do not have a mid-range gaming computer, it's an old outdated, low end system that is on a dead end platform, with no upgrade opportunities except for replacing that old outdated GPU.

Sorry if I seem harsh, but you just built a new weak, old computer.

That said please give us some specs showing what you believe to be under utilization.

May 15, 2018

I can understand as this is a 2 year old computer and is surely outdated. But still it has potential.
I have been using it for Photoshop and video editing softwares where it struggles to load up frames while keeping almost 50% of Ram and cpu still unused. Is there any option i have to check to let it use all the resources of the computer?

toshibitsu

Distinguished
The FX 8320 is a 6 year old AM3+ processor. That socket's been retired for some time now and any AM3+ falls below the minimum requirements for most new games.

If this was still 2012, then yes... this would be considered a "mid range" system. As for today's standards, it definitely is not.

Solution

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
If we are not talking about Gaming, you may want to check your hdd.

What do you see in task manager under performance (memory, CPU and disk).

How does it perform with some basic non video applications (word, excel etc).

Try running a compiler such as eclipse, or load up a virtual machine in "Virtual Box". That will load up your CPU,RAM,HDD and be video independent.

Have you updated all your drivers.

Note that some features of Photoshop need a good video card. Check the minimum spec for Photoshop.

My guess is that you are limited by your graphics card